cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-PI21AG-A-K9 Win7?

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

Anybody know of a good Win7 x64 driver for the AIR-PI21AG-A-K9?

I'm in the process of replacing 1231 LWAPs with 1142 and 1242 LWAPs.  Today I was notified of some Win7 clients having problems.

The clients are AIR-PI21AG-A-K9 NICs.  Some clients are Win7 x64 and some are Win7 x32.  The x32 clients are upgraded from XP pro and the x64 are new hardware (except the NICs).

Watching client debugs and RADIUS (ACS5.x) logs, the x64 clients are successfully reauthenticating 2-5 times a minute.  The x32 clients seem to be running just fine.

The closest AP is a new 1142, with a 1242 on the floor above.  Both APs are on the same WiSM2 running 7.0.235.3.

Supplicant is native Win7, WPA2/AES-Enteprise with machine authentication against AD.

I'm suspecting driver issue or NIC hardware problems.  The person who installed these machines says they got Atheros drivers from Microsoft. 

Another odd behavior I'm seeing is even with Client Band Select enabled on the WLAN, the x64 clients only associate to the 2.4Ghz radio.  If I admin down the 1242 and shutdown the 2.4 radio in the 1142 these clients associate to the 2.4 radio in another 1142 across the street.

The Atheros dirver does not seem to provide the ability to select a band the way the old Cisco dirvers did.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Band select doesn't always work and the client will make the final decision.  As far as the issue you are having, can you post the show wlan of the wlan that's an issue.  NOte that its not a very good idea to mix 802.11n ap's with non 802.11n ap's.  Devices that are 802.11n will try to roam to another 802.11n access point and will not roam to a non 802.11n unless its about to drop or it does get dropped.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I think its fair to say that clients all behave differently. As you turn on more complexities you often times cause more issues.

Side note -- here is another cut and paste from a cisco guy .. gezz what is going on with CSC ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks Scott.

I considered possbile issues with mixing "n" & non "n" APs.  These are non "n" NICs.  The 1242 is mounted to a wall.  I'll probably go stick a couple 1262E APs in there & see what happens.

CORRECTION:  band select is not enabled; too many 1231 single radio b/g APs still using this SSID.  I don't know if I should worry about that.

FWIW, XP Pro machines with the same NIC are solid on a PSK SSID and 802.11a on this same AP.

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

Agreeing with Scott, actually band select enables client radios that are capable of dual-band  (2.4- and 5-GHz) operation to move to a less congested 5-GHz access  point. The 2.4-GHz band is often congested. Clients on this band  typically experience interference from Bluetooth devices, microwave  ovens, and cordless phones as well as co-channel interference from other  access points because of the 802.11b/g limit of three non-overlapping  channels.

Band selection works by regulating probe responses to clients. It makes  5-GHz channels more attractive to clients by delaying probe responses to  clients on 2.4-GHz channels.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You might just want to look for another wireless adapter for the Windows 7 machines. Since there is no Windows 7 drivers, your basically hacking it to work. Others have tried to use the Vista driver, but that's up to you.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card