Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-SAP1552I-A-K9 to lightweight

Hi,

I have a AIR-SAP1552I-A-K9 and want to upgrade it to a lightweight AP. We're running 7.2.111.3 on our WLC which should work according to Cisco documentation. I downloaded c1520-k9w8-tar.152-2.JB.tar from Cisco homepage which was under their "ligthweight" image. Usually there's a rcv int the name but couldn't find an image containing that for the AP. The other image there for autonomous was c1520-k9w7-tar.152-2.JB (only the w7 and w8 is the difference in the name). The command archive download-sw /overwrite /imageonly /tft://2.2.2.2/c1520-k9w8-tar.152-2.JB.tar was run (2.2.2.2 has of course been replaced from the real tftp server). After reboot of AP there's no information, no cdp, no mac address on the port nothing. Anyone who can fill me in on what might have happened here or what the correct procedure should be for upgrading a 1552 AP from autonomous to lightweight should be? I don't have console access to the AP that failed, but there are a few more APs of the same model which needs to be moved from autonomous to lightweight.

Thanks in advance.

//Peter

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well since you don't have console, how are you powering this up? If this is lightweight, have to setup the WLC to accept the mesh ap?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi, consider there's a small puddle of water called the atlantic between me and the AP console is a bit of a problem . Before reboot of the AP I of course had SSH access to the AP.

Are all 1552 APs considered mesh AP so I have to add the MAC address to the WLC? Or does it somehow depends autunomous configuration?

Viten Patel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Peter did they pick up an ip? Can check on the dhcp server?

I usually use the attribute archive download-sw /over/ force-reload/ tftp:

Also make sure you have option 43 or dns resolution setup for the controller discovery

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

During autonoumous mode they picked up an IP. For upgrading the "archive" command was used. There's about 50ish other 1142/1262 access-points in the subnet who joing the WLC without any problems.

I did not see an IP address in CDP neighbors nor did I find it asking for one in the DHCP server. Thus I'm affraid it got stuck somewhere while booting up.

i see. yea they maybe stuck in some werid state. did you try and reboot that AP (not sure if it is easy to do that).

also, do you see any join attempts of the wlc under the monitor > statistics > ap join stats?

i personally doubt you ll see anything there

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card