Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-WLC2106-K9 upgrade path

glebpe185
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco Wireless experts,

I am going to upgrade my existing AIR-WLC2106-K9 (software release 7.0.240) to AIR-CT2504-15-K9. It looks like the new one

AIR-CT2504-15-K9 ships with SW 7.5.

What would be the best way to transfer config to the new one with minimum reconfiguration possible?

Is this possible to run old config from 7.0 onto 7.5? Or any specific upgrade path should be taken?

Thanks in advance!!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

First thing 2100 series wlc last support is 7.0.x , so u cant upgrade to 7.5.

You can downgrade 2540 controller to 7.0.240 and then upload the config

If you ahve the same Image then u can try to upload the config in new WLC(its not recommanded but u can try).

But there will be some diffrence in the config .....that u can check after config upload.

with diff version on both WLC: I will not advise to upload the config from old one.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Like the other post mentioned, if you understand the configuration, you can backup the config on the 2106 and edit that in a text file editor. Then you can upload that to the new WLC.

You still have to go through the startup wizard on the new WLC just to get it up and running. So maybe what you should do is backup the 2106, and go through the startup wizard on the 2504, but don't connect it to the production network. I would connect it to a switch that isn't on the network and then I would configure my laptop with a static address so I can access the GUI. From there I would upload the config of the 2106 and see if it takes. You can compare the two WLC as the 2504 is t in the production network. If the config takes and your fine with it, then swap them out. If it doesn't work, well then you either have to downgrade the 2504 to the version the 2106 is on or you manually edit the config backup if you know the commands well to edit it.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI,

You can try to load the configuration from one wlc to another if they are the same model and with the same code.

Cisco recommended:

Do not download a configuration file to your controller that was uploaded from a different controller platform.

So I will advise to put the new WLC on same mobility group as running WLC and move the APs from one to another then remove the old one.

or If u have time then configure the new wlc with exact config as u have on old wlc.

Follow this post:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2151881

Regards

So even if I upgrade the old WLC to the same version as what it comes with new WLC as long as they are different platform it won't be supported to load the config file?

First thing 2100 series wlc last support is 7.0.x , so u cant upgrade to 7.5.

You can downgrade 2540 controller to 7.0.240 and then upload the config

If you ahve the same Image then u can try to upload the config in new WLC(its not recommanded but u can try).

But there will be some diffrence in the config .....that u can check after config upload.

with diff version on both WLC: I will not advise to upload the config from old one.

Regards

it make sense.

if it works can I upgrade the new WLC to from 7.0 > 7.5 easily?

For 2500 WLC:

Yes u can directly upgrade from 7.0.X to release 7.5.

Note

If  you have VLAN support and VLAN mappings defined on H-REAP access points  and are currently using a 7.0.x controller software release that is  prior to 7.0.240.0, we recommend that you upgrade to the 7.0.240.0  release and then upgrade to 7.5.102.0 to avoid losing those VLAN  settings.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn75.html

Regards

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Like the other post mentioned, if you understand the configuration, you can backup the config on the 2106 and edit that in a text file editor. Then you can upload that to the new WLC.

You still have to go through the startup wizard on the new WLC just to get it up and running. So maybe what you should do is backup the 2106, and go through the startup wizard on the 2504, but don't connect it to the production network. I would connect it to a switch that isn't on the network and then I would configure my laptop with a static address so I can access the GUI. From there I would upload the config of the 2106 and see if it takes. You can compare the two WLC as the 2504 is t in the production network. If the config takes and your fine with it, then swap them out. If it doesn't work, well then you either have to downgrade the 2504 to the version the 2106 is on or you manually edit the config backup if you know the commands well to edit it.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card