cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Airespace AP & switch connection

diro
Level 1
Level 1

A cisco 1010 that runs multiple Wlans which are connected to diffrent dynamic interfaces (with version 4.x aireos). Must that AP be connected as a trunk to the switch? And if yes does it then mean that for each wlan there is a different tunnel to the controller tagged with it's propper vlan from the dynamic interface.

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

no, it does not need to be a trunk. it will work as an access port with no problem. The only time you need to have the port configured as a trunk port is when you are in RLDP mode.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

That's what i tought also, but if the ap is not on a trunk the clients which are in the same vlan as the ap recieve a dhcp address,all the other clients belonging to other vlan's don't receive a dhcp address. But when i turn on the trunk between ap and switch everybody gets an ip adrress from their associated vlan. Any ideas?

The LWAP / Airespace sends everything back to the controller encapsulated in IAPP (maybe not IAPP, but it's encaps'd). All of the traffic travels through this tunnel.

Back at the controller, the various VLANs are broken out and routed accordingly ... and any services (like DHCP) must be available at the controller.

For example, the interface on the router for VLAN_X must have an "IP-HELPER" statement that point to VLAN_Y where the DHCP server resides.

The easiest way to look at it (to my possibly limited understanding) is to think of the controller as having the same connection / configuration as an L2 switch - any VLANs will require a router for VLAN-to-VLAN communication.

Unless you have a DHCP server on each segment/VLAN, you need to direct the traffic (by way of an IP-HELPER address on the client-side router interface) towards the single DHCP server (which should have multiple scopes defined, one per VLAN).

Good Luck

Scott

That was all done and true that's the theory i know to, but still with trunk the dhcp did work without it, it didn't.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card