Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Aironet 1200 AP as a DHCP Server

Can a 1200 AP act as a DHCP Server to only my Wireless Clients? And if so how can I configure it?

I have posted this in another area as well.

Thanks for any help. I am new to the wireless scene. Never liked it much because of security issues.

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Aironet 1200 AP as a DHCP Server

Hi Dan,

Here is an excerpt from a good doc on DHCP for IOS AP's;

Setting up the DHCP Server

"By default, access points are configured to receive IP settings from a DHCP server on your network. You can also configure an access point to act as a DHCP server to assign IP settings to devices on both your wired and wireless LANs.

The 1100 series access point becomes a mini-DHCP server by default when it is configured with factory default settings and it cannot receive IP settings from a DHCP server. As a mini-DHCP server, the 1100 series access point provides up to 20 IP addresses between 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.30 to a PC connected to its Ethernet port and to wireless client devices configured to use either no SSID or tsunami as the SSID, and with all security settings disabled. The mini-DHCP server feature is disabled automatically when you assign a static IP address to the 1100 series access point. Because it has a console port to simplify initial setup, the 1200 series access point does not become a DHCP server automatically."

Here is a link to the actual doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080184a86.html#1060653

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts......

Views
Helpful
Replies