cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1250 frequent client disconnects

jarridgraham
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a site with two 1250s set up, they have the same ssid and when we set them up I was able to roam no problems no packet loss everything was great. Not seems in the past couple of weeks they have been having frequent drops on clients , there is only about 14 clients and they don't roam but what I see is the syslog is a lot of

deauth station, then another one with a reason of sending station has left the BSS then a reassociated all within a few tenths of a second.

and of course this causes their program that they are using to throw an error. There is plenty of signal in the show dot11 ass all I see like an average of -52 dBm  and a SNR of 46 dB. I feel like I need more stuff dumped to the syslog but seems I am not sure what else to enable. I almost feel like there is some kind of external interference going on but with out a spectrum analyzer I can't tell. I do see a lot of receive CRC errors and a log of TX data retries. Like I said there are two APs there and have been swapped locations and they both behave the same so I don't think a hardware issue. We have used these APs many other places with basically the same configs and never had this before. I have not had a chance to just disable the 5Ghz or the 2.4 and see or dumb the rates down from N to b/g. Most clients seem to connect to the 2.4.

Thanks

Jarrid Graham

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

most clients will connect on the 2.4 unless you tell the to be on the 5GHz or have some sort of band stearing to get them to prefer the 5Ghz, all about battery life.

so from the AP, you are seeing that it hears the client well, but it could be the client is not hearing the AP well.  So you would need a way to see how the client is hearing the AP, like a wireless sniffer for example.

Most of the deauth leaving the BSS is because the AP is no longer hearing the client so it purges it from the bridging table, since there is a finite amount of space, and a client that is not transmitting(or at least not being heard) gets removed to save space.

Not a lot of help at the moment, but I do agree that looking at the spectrum is a good place to start.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Something else I should have asked I notice when I do the dot11 command I see an Activity timeout is 20 seconds, now for the sake of trying everything I changed the timeouts for the client station and unknown to 60000, now I don't see that there is 60k seconds left and it has been rebooted since the change however I have seen it that high but randomly most of the time it is just the 20 seconds, does that timer drop or do like what I am experiencing if it lapses. If so I guess I need some kind of keepalive thing, however I don't see how they don't have a good signal there like 10 feet from the thing. I guess I need to get a picture and make sure I put the antennas on the correct band.

Jarrid

yaplej
Level 1
Level 1

I have seen the same thing with Dell/Cheap-o wireless cards.  I swap them for the compatible Intel card and the issue goes away. 

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I always say get back to basics. Can you post the config the of the access points? What type of clientsm can you reproduce the problem ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Also, what code is your access points on ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________