Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aironet 1252 Antenna quantity

Hi There,

I already have an Aironet 1252 and I am going to increase the coverage.

I would like to buy "AIR-ANT24120" but I dont know if I have to buy 3 of them or only would be enough?

21 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Aironet 1252 Antenna quantity

You need to buy three: two for outgoing and one for inbound.

Do you plan to use this indoor or outdoor? This is an outdoor antenna that's for the 2.4Ghz band. What about the 5.0Ghz?

Antenna Product Portfolio for Cisco Aironet 1250 Series Access Points

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/at_a_glance_c45-513837.pdf

thanks for reply.

yes I want to use it outdoor.

I am currently using normal antennas which mount on access point for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. but I am going to replace my 2.4GHz antennas only.

is that all right?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Here are some more documents for you to consider:

Cisco Aironet Antennas and Accessories Reference Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

Cisco Aironet 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Antennas and Accessories

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008022b11b.html

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Sure it'll work. Your 2.4Ghz will have improvements due to the outdoor antennae. Take note the Azimuth and Elevation Plane Radiation Patterns.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I have done an install with the 1252's inside and antennas outside. We had to use low loss cable from the antenna to the lightning arrestor. We actually installed three 2.4ghz and 3 5ghz antennas on a mount. Just make sure it is rated for outdoor.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi, thanks for reply.

but do I have to buy both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. the antennas AIR-ANT24120 which is outdoor, is quite expensive antenna (900$). can I have 2.4GHz for long distance and 5GHz for short distance users?

moreover, is there any document explaining how the antenna ports on Aironet-1252 works (I mean 2 outgoing and 1 ingoing out of 3 ports).

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Is this what you are looking for?

Antenna Product Portfolio for Cisco Aironet 1250 Series Access Points

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/at_a_glance_c45-513837.pdf

You don't have to use both radios if you don't want to. With 802.11n all three will recieve and the two outer ports will transmit. You can find antennas cheaper from 3rd party maybe < $200. Sparco Technologies is one company we use alot.

-Scott

Hi,

I have purchased 3 2.4GHz antenna MBF1024 from Sparco and I did installation last week. but there has been no improvement in the coverage.

has anybody have this experience before?

I was suspicious whether I need to do some configuration in my Access point Aironet 1252 or not?

How far to the edge are you trying to cover? You can max out on the 2.4ghz at 100mW but that is all. The 5ghz max TX depends on the channel you assign but can max out to 50mW. Going with a higher antenna gain might help, but you have to be carefull not to over power your client devices. Your client might be able to recieve the signal from the AP, but the AP might not ever see the signal comming from the device itself. Also, client devices have a specifc max TX output also, so better look into that. Maybe your client devices max at 50mW or even less.

-Scott

Good call fella5, I ran into that exact same scenario a few years ago. The clients recv'd the signal great, but getting signal back to the AP was the problem.

Guys;

I have the same setup and what is happening is the following; I have the antenna plugged into the Primary 2.4ghz. connection and that is being used for sending and receiving of signal. It has been working great this way for like 7 months and last week it jsut stop working in terms of getting no signal at all. It seems like the antenna is bad. Is this possible for an antenna to be bad. Yeah we get lots of rain but for it to go bad like this I cannot understand. I change out the AP and that still didn ot help the issue here. Any help would be greatly be appreciated.

Thanks JRB

Scott Fella, I have a few of questions for you about this setup if you don't mind:

1. Does your mounting kit use this part?

http://www.sparcotech.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=UM

2. Were the horizontal bar + clamp custom made or did you also get them from Sparco? Do you know which part number?

3. Did you use this lightning arrestor?

http://www.sparcotech.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SP-LP-RPTNC-6

4. I assume you have six of them for each 1252? Did you attach each arrestor directly to the 1252, or did you use a second cable?

5. Did you use Cisco's low loss cables or did you get them from Sparco?

6. Did you use antennas with a built-in downtilt? Or did you tilt the universal mount? Or did you leave it all at 0 degree tilt?

7. Which two antenna models did you get from Sparco? I believe the top is 2.4 and bottom 5?

Thank you! Sorry to bother you!

Everything came from Sparco except for the AP's. Speak with Nathan or Chris from Sparco. All I can say if you are trying to come up with a solution is use an antenna with either 3 leads or if they have a single antenna with 6 leads for both the 2.4 and 5ghz everything was custom and basically I drew out how the antennas were going to be mounted. The client purchased 1000' lmr 400 or lmr 600 depending on the distance between the Ap and the antenna.

Hope this answers your question.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Thanks, Scott, that helps! I'll definitely get in touch with those guys on Monday. Thanks for the recommendation of using 6 lead omni and cutting cables ourselves. Looks like I might use this antenna: http://www.sparcotech.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=SP-MIMO-OD6

Just one last question about arrestors. Do you recomend installing six per 1252, and do you directly attach them to the 1252 leads or use it inline with a second cable?

That antenna is what I actually used in another install.  Now depending on high up the antenna will be, you will have some down tilt, but you can also angle the mount down a little to give you certain coverage below.  If you can mount these 25' you should be good with keeping them vertical.  As for lightning arrestors, I have always gone with 6 and the only reason is that the lightning arrestor was mounted on top of the NEMA case the 1252 was housed in.  So the LMR came back to the NEMA and connected to the arrestors.  If you want, you can alway put a lighting arestor on the cat5e/6 cable so that in case of a lightning strike, your AP will blow, but might protect your equipment the AP is connected to.

By the way, I had then cut the length of the cable and attach 'N' connectors so that the install would be easy for the cable guy's.  We purchased a crimp tool for both lmr 400 and 600, and all the antenna ends were replaced with 'N' type connectors.

-Scott

By the way... Depending on your order, Sparco can powder coat the mounts in most colors if that becomes an issue.  It was in my install:)

-Scott

Again, great info, Scott! but then of course it brings a few more questions

Did you decide to use lmr600 for longer cables and lmr400 for shorter? I could just use lmr600 for all, I think. Of course, as long as the holes in the wall allow for six lmr600's to fit in.

Not familiar with what it takes to crimp on RP-TNC vs. N-type connector. Is N-type easier to crimp on? Or is there another reason?

I just noticed that omni antenna has SMA connector, but it also says "connector options available". I'll talk to them, hopefully they have an N-connector option. Otherwise, not sure about crimping SMA connector.

Duly noted on the tilt and arrestors. I want to protect the AP. I don't think I'll be using enclosures inside, the AP might just be mounted on the wall. In this case. If my LMR has N-type on both ends. I would have to attach RP-TNC arrestor directly to the AP (I'm using 3500e), then attach a RP-TNC to N-type adapter, and then connect the N-type LMR. Or I might just end up using enclosures as in your example with N-type arrestor.

Let me try to answer your questions:)

Did you decide to use lmr600 for longer cables and lmr400 for  shorter? I could just use lmr600 for all, I think. Of course, as long as  the holes in the wall allow for six lmr600's to fit in.

The cost between the two is huge, so when I was 75' or less, I would use the lmr400, anything else would be the lmr600.

Not  familiar with what it takes to crimp on RP-TNC vs. N-type connector. Is  N-type easier to crimp on? Or is there another reason?

If you can have the cabler's only have to deal with one type of crimp.... the easier the install and that is why we did that.  Sparco arrestors were 'N" type and then we used a small jumper from the top of the NEMA enclosure to the AP which of course was rp-tnc.

I  just noticed that omni antenna has SMA connector, but it also says  "connector options available". I'll talk to them, hopefully they have an  N-connector option. Otherwise, not sure about crimping SMA connector.

They offer other connector types.

Duly  noted on the tilt and arrestors. I want to protect the AP. I don't  think I'll be using enclosures inside, the AP might just be mounted on  the wall. In this case. If my LMR has N-type on both ends. I would have  to attach RP-TNC arrestor directly to the AP (I'm using 3500e), then  attach a RP-TNC to N-type adapter, and then connect the N-type LMR. Or I  might just end up using enclosures as in your example with N-type  arrestor.

They have small jumpers so you can go from 'N' type to RP-TNC.  We used a NEMA enclosure just so it is more clean.  the arrestors actually just screwed into the top of the NEMA enclosure, 3 toward the fron and 3 toward the back and the console and ethernet connection on the bottom.

-Scott

Perfect, thank you!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content