cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1260 as bridges

firestartest
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to create a wireless site to site link using 1260 access points as bridges (like the 1300 series)?

Also if so, can you use 11n channel bonding on the bridge link?

I need to link 2 buildings together wirelessly approximately 70 metres apart.  There is direct line of sight between them.

10 Replies 10

Unfortunately thats the configuration for a 1300 Wireless bridge.  I need to know if its possible to configure 1260 aps in the same way.  I know some models didn't support that feature (not sure if it was version dependant).  I need each AP to be connected to the LAN.  They will not provide client wireless connections.  They will only bridge the LANs.

Also the configuration does not mention 11n.

Unfortunately thats the configuration for a 1300 Wireless bridge.

Yes and no.  Yes this is a template for the 1300 but it's not an "exclusive" template.  I use the same configuration example for my 1252 WAPs, heck, I even had Cisco update this document because the configurations were just plain wrong. 

OK.  Do you know if the configuration would work using channel bonding?

Do you know if the configuration would work using channel bonding?

I could be wrong, but I am not sure if 1260 will support 802.11n wireless bridge.

Just configured and tested 2 x 1142 APs.  Channel bonding works when you set the root bridge with the "channel width" command.

Just need to verify if 1260's will work.

It should work... I've used the 1252's in bridge mode. Just depends on how far the link is and what modulation the bridges negotiate at.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are you using autonomous APs? or controller-based APs?

Never tested but I don't think there will be any issue connecting them as a bridge eitherway with or without channel bonding.

It all depends on your antennas gain and type.

If you have directional antennas with LOS cleared it will be very good. It still depends on the antenna's gain however.

You may try them wi h1260 APs. I don't unfortunately have 1260 APs to test with.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

They will be autonomous.

The antenna is the next issue.

If I go for 1260 aps, do I need to get a long antenna cable to reach the AP?  Each AP can be installed in a comms cabinet with the antenna cabling travelling up the ceiling void to the outside wall.  I was hoping to get a directional antenna.  Not sure which would support 5 GHz N.

Each AP can be installed in a comms cabinet with the antenna cabling travelling up the ceiling void to the outside wall.

You might reconsider putting the WAP closer to the antenna.  Running a long antenna cable from the WAP to the location of the antenna runs the risk of "cable loss".  The longer the cable, the higher the loss, the lower the signal output.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card