Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Aironet 1310 Antenna

I am currently designing a wireless solution for a new building on campus. Our goal is to provide coverage to wireless clients via rooftop mounted AP's (specifically 1310's). We have 3 patio areas on 3 different sides of the building and I figured on 3 sepearate AP's (one for each patio area). My question is, what antenna will provide me with the coverage needed to cover each patio area which measure approx

50 X 150 ft in size. I know this is a tough question without being on site but I was hoping for some direction. I already tried the AIR-ANT1729 and it did not suffice. Thanks for the help!

Re: Aironet 1310 Antenna

I think the antenna that you used is more like a directional antenna (see Beam Width info in

Try the omni-directional type for a better 360 degree coverage, i.e AIR-ANT1728 (5.2dBi), which provides 360 degree coverage compared to the ANT1729.

Recommended antennas for AP1300:

I have also used both AIR-ANT2506 (5.2dBi) and the AIR-ANT24120 (12dBi) antennas in my experiements, and it works, although in doc in was meant as bridge antenna

Community Member

Thanks for your help. I initially was trying more of a directional antenna since I didn't want the signal from an omnidirectional interfering with other AP's inside the building. I was hoping to concentrate the signal to a specific this an uncommon thing to do?

Community Member

I forgot to ask in the last message I sent. The AIR-ANT1728 is listed as an indoor antenna. Are you saying that it can be used outdoors as well?

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hey Jeremy,

Sounds like a great project! Here are some additional docs that may help you on your way. On our Campus we have not provided any outdoor coverage so I'm curious to see how this works out for you.Also here is a reference for the 1728, you are correct that it is an indoor antenna.

Ceiling-mount indoor antenna with RP-TNC connector-This antenna was designed for WLAN applications with frequencies of 2400-2500 MHz. The antenna is omni directional and has a nominal gain of 5.2dBi. It comes with a clip that allows it to be mounted to a drop-ceiling cross member.

The following antennas can be used with the Cisco Aironet 1300 Series:

•AIR-ANT2506—5.2dBi omnidirectional mast mount

•AIR-ANT24120—12dBi omnidirectional mast mount

•AIR-ANT1949—13.5dBi Yagi

•AIR-ANT2410Y-R—10dBi Yagi

•AIR-ANT3338—21dBi dish

•AIR-ANT2414S-R—14dBi sector

•AIR-ANT1729—6 dBi patch

From this doc;

Cisco Aironet Antenna Reference Guide

Cisco Aironet 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Antennas and Accessories

I might also talk to your Cisco SE regarding the possibility of obtaining each of these antennas on a temporary basis for the purpose of testing. Cisco does have a program called something like "demo depot" for just this type of scenario.

Hope this helps!

Please remember to rate helpful posts...

Community Member

Thanks Rob,

I'm really enjoying the opportunity to bounce these questions off such a large number of knowlegable people. I may pursue the possibility of getting a few of the antennas in to test although I am leaning towards the AIR-ANT2506. I just don't think the beam width on any of the directional antennas is going to do the trick for me. I would however be interested in what the AIR-ANT2410Y-R—10dBi Yagi would provide. Hard to think that a directional antenna that would cover this type of area doesn't exist. Looks like the students on your web page would welcome some outdoor wireless :) Thanks again for your feedback!!

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Jeremy,

Too true! The funny thing is, by the time it gets nice enough outside to use wireless most of the students are gone for the summer.We did do some outdoor testing a couple of years ago using a Yagi (not sure which one) and it worked really well. I'm not sure about the "footprint" you are looking for but it is worth a try.

We are converting from Autonomous to LWAPP this summer so more learning to do.

Take care!

CreatePlease to create content