Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Aironet 340 Base Station with Compaq iPAQ wireless adapter

Hi,

I'm having problems connecting the new Compaq HNW-200 USB adaptor with a Cisco 340 Base Station.

That is, it works very well when I'm not using WEP, but as soon as I configure the base station to use Wep, and puts a ASCII code, they can't communicate. Another computer using a Cisco 350 PCMCIA card have no problems.

There are a few options in the Compaq utility, I can choose from "none/64 bits/128 bits" WEP keys. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Could it be that the Cisco uses the WEP like this (if key is cisco):

cisco0000000000000000000000...etc (fills out with zero's at the end of cisco) while the Compaq uses 00000000....cisco?

How do I select 40/128bits WEP in the menu for the Aironet base?

-Anders

1 REPLY

Re: Aironet 340 Base Station with Compaq iPAQ wireless adapter

To check the version of WEP supported on the 340 base station, check the product name on the bottom (340 = no WEP; 341 = 40-bit; 342 = 128-bit).

If you're having problems with the way the WEP key is "filled out", the easy solution is to use a real 40-bit or 128-bit WEP key, rather than using a shorter key and hoping the software completes it correctly.

Most software (like Cisco's CEM) accepts the WEP key as a hex string (if you're using "cisco" as your WEP key, you'd have a problem), while others can accept a 40 or 128 digit binary string.

Check the documentation that came with the hardware - it should have instructions to enter the WEP key correctly.

Views
Helpful
Replies