Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Aironet 340 vs Aironet 350 - suggestions please

I have a customer who would like to connect a warehouse (located across the street/approximately 150 feet closet to closet) to its main network. The existing warehouse has a 3548 switch which I would like the new warehouse's 2950 to connect to. I haven't worked with Cisco's wireless products yet and I would like to know if I should use Aironet 340 or Aironet 350. Also, what other products will I need to make this happen? Any tips? Basically I want to make sure that the users connected to the 2950 in the warehouse across the street will be able to connect to the main network on the 3548. There will be less than 10 users on the 2950 and the traffic will be relatively light (email, surfing the web, file accessing, etc). I should also note that there will be heavy printing equipment (printing press) around these devices and I'm wondering if that will effect the communciation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES

Re: Aironet 340 vs Aironet 350 - suggestions please

BENJAMIN,

I have been working with the Aironet 350 Bridge and the Aironet 352 PCMCIA cards allot lately. When I tested the 340 product out I found that it works fine in the office but didn't have the power to shoot long distances or through several walls. You may have an issue with the large equipment if you are running the wireless network inside the building.

Without doing a site survey I would go with the Aironet 350 Bridge on both ends. Hook them up to a couple of Yagi antennas to shoot the signal from building to building and you should be set.

I believe the Aironet products come with 802.11b as the standard protocol. This will give you 11mps. You can upgrade to 45mps, I think.

Let me know if this helps

Rob Starke.

Re: Aironet 340 vs Aironet 350 - suggestions please

Any 802.11b bridge with removable antennas will give you about the same result, just get the antenna outside or in a window.

340 APs are only 30milliwatts, but the 340 and 350 Bridges are both 100mW, so either is suitable. 340s are getting cheap if you can still find them - www.bluemodal.com/products.

If you have a window at either building with a view of the other building you can keep the cost down by using patch antennas in the window(s), which can talk to a Yagi on the other end. They are as cheap as $55 for good ones, and they fit nicely in the corner of a window.

If you do not think that a 6-8Mbps Half-Duplex shared link will be enough, you can use two or three pairs of bridges, or you can get 20Mbps equipment.

Matthew Wheeler

Blue Modal

Views
Helpful
Replies