Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Aironet 342 base station problems

I have the base station above, got it from a friend but without a power supply. I've looked inside, and board revision is A0. I have though found an alternative power supply, but have to run it on 6V. But it's specified for 1.25A.

Anyway, I've got huge problems with getting it to work. I'v used the reset button on the back, and the status led is blinking yellow. But no matter what I do I can't associate with it.

I've been following this page:

But it states that the 128 bit wep-key should be 28 characters long? The setup for my card doesn't take keys longer than 26 characters hex. Something is not right there, I've tried with the first and last 26 characters.

My client adapter is linksys wusb54g, and it works perfectly fine with another access point I have. If I attach a network cable, the base station does aquire an address from my dhcp server. Unfortunately it's not accessible through this ip (as stated in the docs)

I really don't know what to do. Seems like the radio is disabled. Can't find it with either kismet og network stumbler. Could it be because of the power supply?

Anything else I can try?

Re: Aironet 342 base station problems

Does the base station accept association from the clients with WEP disabled. What is the firmware runnning on the base station?

Cisco Employee

Re: Aironet 342 base station problems

That device needs a good 5 Volt regulated supply, I would not run it at 6 VDC (as there is no regulation on the motherboard of the base station). If you need a source of 5 Volts (try an iPaq power supply) or the 5 Volts from a PC power supply but do not run it at 6 Volts.

CreatePlease to create content