cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 350 Bridge

jteixido
Level 1
Level 1

I have two sites connected to each other via a 340 bridge on each side. My question is, can someone hack into my network with a wireless nic card? I know this can be done with an access point, but since I'm using only bridges am I any safer. If I am not safe what precautions should I be taking.

Thank You,

3 Replies 3

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No..No hacking ..You are safe...As Wireless NIC's can't associate with the Bridge..It can only associate with the Access Point..Thanks..Tejal

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just clarifying the answer in detail...

Cisco Bridges can operate in various modes and based on that it can/can't accpet the association from the wireless clients..

340 bridges will accept association only if "It is in Access Point mode"

If it is in "Bridge" mode, no association so thats the reason why its safe for you as its in "bridge" mode..

350 bridges can operate in one of following modes,

Bridge, Access Point, Root Bridge, Non-Root Bridge with clients, Non-root bridge without clients, Repeater Access Point and site survey client

Out of above only following modes accept the client associations

Access Point, Root Bridge, Non-Root Bridge with clients, Repeater Access Point

Unless encryption is enabled (WEP, LEAP, VPN, etc), your traffic across that wireless bridge link is EASILY sniffed....which will include email passwords, domain password hashes, AIM conversations, etc. time to take a class on wireless security. might i suggest www.cwnp.com

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card