cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 350 WAP flash gone

lquintana7
Level 1
Level 1

Ok as the title says, I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere while upgrading the IOS and well, I'm at the 'ap:' prompt. When I issue the 'dir flash:' command here is the output:

ap: dir flash:

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 3555 <date> private-config

3 -rwx 180 <date> env_vars

5 -rwx 2874 <date> config.old

4 drwx 0 <date> c350-k9w7-mx.123-7.JA2

7604224 bytes available (8192 bytes used)

From what it looks like, the IOS did not finish downloading or is corrupted and it did not copy anything over. I have tried using the 'set' commands towards a tftp server but I guess I am doing it wrong. Bad thing is that I kind of forgot to back up the IOS that was on there already *slaps his hand*. Can anyone help out with some directions on how to upload the .JA2 file through xmodem or any other form so I can get back to the standard IOS prompt? It would be greatly appreciated :0).

Best Regards,

Luis

2 Replies 2

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

gerlaj
Level 1
Level 1

I picked up the following somewhere and have used it once or twice over the years. Hopefully it will help you out. All you should need is a PC, crossover cable, an IOS image, and some TFTP server software. And there is a good chance you have all of that or can pull it together fairly easily.

WIRELESS TAR IOS UPGRADE:

Follow the steps below to reload the access point image using the CLI. When the access point begins to boot, you interrupt the boot process and use boot loader commands to load an image from a TFTP server to replace the image in the access point.

Step 1 Open the CLI using a Telnet session or a connection to the access point console port.

Step 2 Reboot the access point by removing power and reapplying power.

Step 3 Let the access point boot until it begins to inflate the image. When you see these lines on the CLI, press Esc:

Loading "flash:/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-2.JA2/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-2.JA2"....

###########################################################################

Step 4 When the ap: command prompt appears, enter the set command to assign an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway to the access point.

Your entries might look like this example:

ap: set IP_ADDR 10.0.0.1

ap: set NETMASK 255.255.255.0

ap: set DEFAULT_ROUTER 10.0.0.1

Step 5 Enter the tftp_init command to prepare the access point for TFTP.

ap: tftp_init

Step 6 Enter the tar command to load and inflate the new image from your TFTP server. The command must include this information:

• the -xtract option, which inflates the image when it is loaded

• the IP address of your TFTP server

• the directory on the TFTP server that contains the image, if needed

• the name of the image

• the destination for the image (the access point Flash)

Your entry might look like this example:

ap: tar -xtract tftp://10.0.0.10/c1200-k9w7-tar.123-2.JA2.tar flash:/

Step 7 When the display becomes full the CLI pauses and displays --MORE--. Press the spacebar to continue.

extracting info (229 bytes)

c1200-k9w7-mx.123-2.JA2/ (directory) 0 (bytes)

c1200-k9w7-mx.123-2.JA2/html/ (directory) 0 (bytes)

extracting c1200-k9w7-mx.123-2.JA2/html/level1/images/apps_button_last_flat.gif (318

bytes)

-- MORE --

If you do not press the spacebar to continue, the process eventually times out and the access point stops inflating the image. Repeat until done inflating the files.

Step 8 Enter the set BOOT command to designate the new image as the image that the access point uses when it reboots. The access point creates a directory for the image that has the same name as the image, and you must include the directory in the command. Your entry might look like this example:

ap: set BOOT flash:/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-2.JA2/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-2.JA2

Step 9 Enter the set command to check your bootloader entries.

ap: set

BOOT=flash:/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-2.JA2/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-2.JA2

DEFAULT_ROUTER=10.0.0.1

IP_ADDR=10.0.0.1

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

Step 10 Enter the boot command to reboot the access point. When the access point reboots, it loads the new image.

ap: boot

Step 11 Reconfigure the Access Point.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: