cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 4800 Access Points

pwhiteley
Level 1
Level 1

Can anybody confirm or deny whether the firmware for the 4800 can support 128-bit WEP please. We've been told by our supplier that they don't but it seems that from firmware version 8.55 onwards at least, there is a privacy option under the 802.11 parameters within the configuration menu. The menu doesn't give a choice of WEP bit level or even mention WEP it just refers to privacy. I've loaded in a 26 character key in the AP and handheld scanners and they continue to work OK. I'm not sure whether the units (APs / scanners) are only 'seeing' the 40-bit part of the WEP key and ignoring the rest or what. Thanks.

4 Replies 4

beth-martin
Level 5
Level 5

I don't think so. You need to enter a WEP key for WEP encryption. If you have one of the newer 4800's you can upgrade to the 11.x code that supports WEP. If it's an older one, you'll need a new AP (350 series).

Beth-Martin,

Thanks for the reply.

After further testing and digging around the Cisco Software center (Wireless Section), if you load firmware version 8.80 (or 8.55 or later) on the AP you get a menu option for 'Privacy' under 'Configuration>Radio>I80211.' There's no choice available, you just put in your 40 (10 character) or 128 (26) bit WEP key and it works great. We're currently using it on our handhelds (scanners) and they communicate effectively thru either the 4800s or the 350s.

11.x code firmware is only for the 340/350 series APs/bridges.

hoangtl
Level 1
Level 1

Would you please tell what version of your AP4800 series ? Is it 4800E.

Yes, they are AP4800-E models running firmware version 8.80.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card