cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet AP1242G Antenna & Broadcast Questions

jhiggins2001
Level 1
Level 1

1. Does the Aironet 1242G have an internal antenna?

2. When connecting an AIR-ANT1728 omnidirectional to the primary connector on the ap, does this have to be enable or is it enable by default?

3. My laptops can connect and travel between access point just fine, but smartphones cannot even see the network. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no internal antennas for that model. If you only use one port, you need to define that you use one port or else diversity is enabled by default.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

OK, so for a single antenna setup should I set both rx and tx to right(primary) rather than diversity, or leave it at diversity?

what about #3 in my original post, any thoughts on that?

Thanks.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. Does the Aironet 1242G have an internal antenna?

External antenna only.

3. My laptops can connect and travel between access point just fine, but smartphones cannot even see the network. Any ideas?

It's your smartphone.  Wireless doesn't "discriminate".  It doesn't go like "Today, I'll let the laptops authenticate and the smarphones go to heck."

If your laptops work but your smartphone doesn't then theres some incorrect settings on the smartphone.

To determine which setting is causing your smartphone to fail, create a new broadcasting SSID with NO encryption and NO password.

If the smartphone doesn't connect even to that, then you have a problem with the smartphone.  If the smartphone can connect to that, then ramp up the security and encryption one-at-a-time until you hit a brick wall.

One more thing, iPhones don't like to "choose" between WPA or WPA2.  You enable EITHER ONE but don't enable both and hope the iPhone can choose, because it won't.  The iPhone will just go nuts.

OK, Thanks for the quick answers. Much appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card