cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

aironet cb21ag vs intel 3945abg

jrink
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased a Cisco Aironet CB21AG PC-Card because it comes with a decent site survey tool to determine signal strengths, etc. I also thought it was supposed to be a really decent card.

I'm using it in a laptop that has a built in Intel Pro 3945ABG wireless card, and it seems like the Intel Pro 3945ABG card is always showing a stronger signal to the network than the Cisco card.

How reliable is the Signal Stength value that shows up on the wireless icon in the taskbar. For example, the laptop is stationary, not moving, etc. and the signal strength of the Cisco card is showing LOW, yet the signal strength of the Intel card is showing VERY GOOD.

At these readings, the Cisco site survey tool is showing the signal strength at -77dBm and SNR at about 18-20dBm with the link speed set at 24Mpbs. I do not know the exact signal stength readings of the Intel 3945 card because Cisco's tool doesn't report on that card, just on the Cisco card. So I have to base my opinions off the icon in the taskbar that shows signal strength at VERY GOOD.

So I guess I'm looking for input here as to whether the Intel card is possibly more sensitive and can achieve a better connection than the Cisco card, or whether it's more likely that the reported numbers on the Cisco card or just more accurate...

Any thoughts?

JR

2 Replies 2

jrink
Level 1
Level 1

Just a quick followup.

For example.

On my laptop with the built in 3945abg card, and a Cisco Cb21AG PC card installed, when both devices are communicating with the same WLAN, the Cisco card is showing a -77dBm signal strength (+/-1 dbM varies) according to the Cisco Aironet Site Survey Tool while the Intel 3945ABG card is showing a -66dBm signal strength (+/-1dBm varies) according to the Intel ProSet Tools.

Same AP, same laptop, just different wireless devices... reporting a 10-11dBm difference between them.

I would concur the Intel cards definitely have better receive sensitivity due to antenna design promoting more ideal polarity and gain characteristics. I would make sure you always use the correct (target) laptop platform for surveys.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card