Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet Management Interface down and cannot ping

Yogi123
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am getting intermittent problems on most of my Cisco Aironet 1242 and 1231 access points for a few years now. They are a mixture of light weight and autonomous. Randomly they will stop replying to ping request, which means you cannot telnet or connect to the web interface (I believe this is the management interface?).  The access point is still works fine, and if you run the ‘show cdp neighbours’ command from the switch they are connected to, it does show the access point is connected.  The only way I have found to resolve the issue is to reboot the access point, but finding time to do this is often difficult.  Once rebooted it will go days/months/years before the issue re-occurs.  Does anyone have any idea what might cause this or how I can re-enable the management interface without rebooting the switch – can I connect with console cable and run a command? 

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
AP1200 intermittently, BVI stays down/down
CSCec78169
AP1200 running 12.2(11)JA1 may run into situation where BVI interface configured for
management purpose from the network sometimes stay in down/down state with following
log message.

*Mar 1 00:00:22.592: No active members in BVI43, shutting down
*Mar 1 00:00:24.592: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface BVI43, changed state to down
*Mar 1 00:00:25.591: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface BVI43, changed state to down

Workaround - Either shut/no shut of BVI interface or reload of AP will bring the interface up/up.
Severity:
3 Moderate
Product:
Cisco Aironet 1200 Series
Known Affected Releases:
(1)
12.2(11)JA1
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card