cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet PCI card

arsondhi
Level 1
Level 1

Isn't it the standard PCMCIA card in a PCI adaptor? Wouldn't it work if we used some other PCI adpator?

5 Replies 5

0r-lau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I had the same thought too. But i checked with Cisco and they told me they did something to the PCI adaptor, so it may not work with another PCI adaptor.

But you can use a PCMCIA card adaptor/reader and use the PCMCIA card in it and get it to work. I know as I am using this setup.

Regards,

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the reply!! So if I understand it correctly:

You have Cisco PCMCIA card and a third party PCI adaptor card.

I see the benefit of this would be, that PCI adaptors are fairly cheap out there and can be used with the Cisco Aironet PCMCIA card which has higher gain and security than other 802.11b offerings out there.

Arun Sondhi

CTO,

Network Innovations Inc

715 858 7426 (O)

Hi,

Its not a PCI adaptor card I am talking about. Its a PCMCIA reader/writer. Just make sure this reader can handle more than just Memory cards. An example will be the SwapBox from Microtech. More info here http://www.microtechint.com/qs-pcireader.html

With the setup, i can use my PCMCIA card on my desktop or notebook when I need to. I only have to get one kind of wireless card and use it on both systems.

Regards,

Ron

Ron,

I followed the link you provided, seems ideal. What is the price of these? It should be less than $70.00 for it to make sense though.

What does Havenedge Networks PTE LTD do? Just curious?

Regards

Arun Sondhi

Hi,

Dstore sells it for $83.99. there could be other places that sells it for cheaper.

My company does network integration for our clients. Things like router, switches and firewall config. We are located in Singapore.

Regards,

Ron

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card