Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Aironet Safety Considerations

Aironet Safety Considerations

Hello

I am looking into the installation of a wireless network in one of our warehouses. Where wireless appears to be the ideal solution for our requirements I have a question regarding the safety implications that arise .

The warehouse in question has a certain area containing flammable chemicals.

Are there any safety guidelines concerning the usage of Aironet equipment in such an environment ?

Many thanks.

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Aironet Safety Considerations

I'd highly recommend you contact a Cisco sales rep about this one.

Green

Re: Aironet Safety Considerations

Since the AP is a powered device, it is not intrinsicly an "explosion-proof" device, or certified for explosive environments.

You may be able to find, or your Cisco Rep may be able to recommend a container that is radio-transparent but sealed against fumes or hostile environments (it must be big enough to allow adequate air circulation to prevent overheating, or actively ventilated).

This might also be accomplished by placing the AP in a safe, fume-free environment and using a cabled antenna to the area requiring coverage....or, for that matter using a semi-directional gain antenna from the "safe zone."

Much will depend on the size and shape of the area and the number and type of obstructions.

No answer here will be as good as a site survey by someone that knows what they are doing. Once the place gets mapped out, then the options for radios and antennas can be considered (and tested).

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies