cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AirPrint with mDNS

Reid Ditzler
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 5508 WLC running 7.5.102.0 code and a bonjour server setup as it should be according to all other posts on this topic.

When I enable mDNS globally I only see one HP printer in my enterprise environment (over 30 are installed) from research I've found that this is due to the service string that the iOS device is searching for.

Also from working with Cisco TAC they informed me that the iOS devices on search for printers on

_universal._sub._ipp._tcp.local

:_universal._sub._ipps._tcp.local

GuestLabel @ macsvr01._ipp._tcp.local.

service strings

All of my printers show up under the

_printer._tcp.local,

service string

My question is does anyone know how to either move the printers to one of the 3 service strings that the iOS devices search for or can you alter/add the service string to have the iOS device search/accept the printer service string?

Thanks,

Reid

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You would need to create a service string.  See the following screen shot:

2-21-2014 2-13-20 PM.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott thanks for the reply.

I've already tried to create an new service string and when I turn on mDNS Global Snooping all my printers still default to the _printer.tcp.local service string.

You can't move devices to a service string.  Adding the service string allows that string to be found.  You don't have LSS enabled do you?  If so, disable that.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Yes, LSS is turned off for all service strings and the origin is set to all.

I understand that I can't move devices for another service string do you know if there is a way to have iOS devices search another string?

Oh no... That's built in to the drivers

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

v7.5 is a deferred code also. I have used a software called bonjour browser to view the service strings. You do have to be able to connect to the device initially. I have used a home ap that I know allows all bonjour. This way I can see if the sting needs to be added or not. I have also added strings that never worked, but on a different vendor wireless, it works.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card