Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Anchor WLC WISM2 vs WLC5508

Hi there,

I'm getting problems while trying to create an anchor WLC with both WLC5508 and 2 WISM modules. Everything looks correct but under Mobility Groups the status for the remote controller is in "Data and Control path down". As there is a LAN Extension between remote sites, there is no firewall between the controllers so it can't be due to filtering. L3 reacheability between management VLAN for the WISM and management VLAN for the 5508 is ok as there is ping between them but no mping or eping success.

AirOS version in all the controller is the same to discard problems between different releases, 7.2.110.0. And yes, the Mobility group in both 3 controllers is the same under General Options and Mobility Group Option, and I'm matching the correct burned-in MAC address and management interface IP address.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Jesus

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Anchor WLC WISM2 vs WLC5508

You can issue an mping and eping to determine what ports are being blocked. I say blocked, because many times there isn't a FW but an acl that blocking traffic somewhere. As long as the MAC address specified in the mobility group is correct then check any acl's that might be preventing the protocols for mping and eping. I would also delete the entries in the mobility group and add them back as I have seen issue with that is the past.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a0080b1a506.shtml#topic2

Make sure that the DMZ and local WLC in the wired network are reachable. Use mobility pings (eping and mping) to test.

Mobility ping over UDP?This test runs over mobility UDP port 16666 and tests whether the mobility control packet can be reached over the management interface.

mping mobility_peer_IP_address
Mobility ping over EoIP?This test runs over EoIP - IP port 97 and tests the mobility data traffic over the management interface.

eping mobility_peer_IP_address
Note: Only one mobility ping test per controller can be run at a given time.

If there is a firewall present, make sure that the UDP port 16666 and IP port 97 are opened for communication between the WLCs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you Scott,

I'm pretty sure there is no FW nor ACL as I have control over the topology. Isn't there any compatibility issue between WLC and WiSM for anchor controller to be formed?

I'll try removing Mobility Group and creating again to see if thi is the problem.

Regards

Hall of Fame Super Silver

No there isn't compatibiliy issues... I have done that same setup with vaious equipment models with no issues.  Re-create it and see.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content