Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another DHCP aironet350 problem...different!!

Hello

I have an Aironet350 AP which I've integrated with CSACS to provide LEAP authentication to wireless users. This may seem similar to other posts regarding DHCP and aironet, but in my case, when I plug my wireless PCMCIA card into my notebook and enter my LEAP user/pass it authenticates me, but when I check my ip address it says "0.0.0.0" for both my ip and mask. If I try to do an ip renew, it fails...but if I assign myself a static IP, after I've been authenticated, I can communicate just fine. What could be the problem here? Could the radio be filtering broadcasts? Within CSACS I've got the user/group accounts set to use the DHCP settings of the client adapter, which is set to receive an IP address automatically. Please help.

Thanks

Jason D Humes

6 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Another DHCP aironet350 problem...different!!

Hi Jason

Does the DHCP server show that it is receiving the DHCP probe ?

Try a sniffer on the port to the DHCP server to see if the requests are getting to the server if not try moving the sniffer back in your network and if need be use a wlan sniffer to see if they are there

Hello again,

It would seem that the radio is not passing the DHCP requests properly. If I have a hard-wired connection to the LAN and then I insert my wireless card and authenticate to the CSACS, it gets an IP address from DHCP just fine, but without the hardwired connection, I just get the 0.0.0.0 IP. Kinda strange.

Thanks

Cisco Employee

Ok Can be several things here

What version of ACU NDIS and Firmware are on the clients ???

What is the OS of the clients ??

What sort of switch does the AP plug into ?? Have you put a sniffer on the ethernet side of the AP ??? (span the switch port that goes to the AP)

Try taking off Encryption temporarily and see if it works. i had similar problems with MIC and Broadcast Key Rotation. Once I disabled and re-enabled these (particularly MIC) DHCP resumed. The Broadcast Key seems a logical contributor to this problem given the nature of DHCP, although it was MIC that seemed to keep it from working.

I've had this same problem before with Windows XP clients but when I disabled "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" in the Wireless Networks tab of the properties for the Network Connection, it started to work. You can then use the ACU to configure the connection instead but not both.

Hello

I've fixed the problem with DHCP and the Aironet AP. It turns out that with the version of code 12.1x (???) we were running, there is a bug with the WEP key rotation....DHCP stops working after the first key rotation. We upgraded the AP to 12.2 code, I believe it was, and DHCP works fine now. Thanks. This may help others as well.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content