Views
Helpful
Replies

Antenna for AP1200?

dchia78
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i will like to reduce the ap1200 coverage by around 1/3 of the normal range for an auditorium that will house around 400 people.

The purpose? So that I can substain the bandwidth.

According to the ap1200 specs, the antenna mentioned in the range is the 2.2dbi one. Is there any suggestion as to which antenna I should get? Maybe one with less dbi or the 2.2 as mentioned by cisco?

Another question, if i reduce the transmit power (the range effectively), does it affect the data rates as well?

2 Replies 2

blue.modal
Level 1
Level 1

To convert dBi to dB (the number you actually want to use to determine range) subtract 2.15.

2.2 - 2.15 = .05, so there is no real gain from the 2.2 to begin with.

To reduce range, reduce the transmit power at the AP. Data Rates will drop at the edge of your coverage area.

Matthew Wheeler

Chief Wireless Architect

www.BlueModal.com

As WLANs have evolved from a standards prospective, they have additionally evolved in how they are utilized. Originally, WLANs were deployed using Access Points at maximum power to ensure every area was provided some level of usable signal. While this design worked fine for traditional bandwidth limited applications, the move to high client densities and multimedia applications calls for a new approach in designing WLANs.

When designing for capacity rather than coverage, aim to have APs closer together at lower power output settings (this can be handled dynamically via Radio Resource Management) and globally disable any legacy data rates that you can afford to disable. In this manner, fewer clients will be loaded onto each Access Point, thus allowing each client to utilize a greater portion of the wireless medium.

The problem with clients operating at low data rates (example, 1Mbps) is that each packet takes up more `airtime' compared to clients utilizing high data rates such as 36Mbps to 54Mbps. In simpler terms, a client utilizing a 1Mbps rate is essentially `talking' slower than other clients and therefore drags down aggregate performance. Since WLANs operate with the guideline that only one device, be it AP or client, can utilize the channel at any one moment, overall system performance drops when a large percentage of low data rate frames monopolize the airtime. By designing Access Point density for capacity and disabling lower data rates, aggregate system capacity can be increased.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card