Views
Helpful
Replies

Antenna- OmniDirectional- No coverage below

Queen245_goa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a scenario where i have around 1KM distance to be covered wirelessly.

I have setup my AP in the center of the 1KM radius.

Iam using a ominidirectional antenna so thati can cover 1KM all around.

But i find that below/near to the Antenna Pole, my Client does not get connected to the AP.

Why is this? Is this bec of the 12deg mentioned in the Antenna specs?

How can i eleminate this problem?

Which type of antennas would help eleminate this problem?

1 Reply 1

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

I suspect your antenna has too much gain. Imagine an omnidirectional antenna like a rubber donut. It covers 360 degrees around you, but there's a hole in the middle that doesn't have great coverage. So there's problem #1.

Problem #2 is that the rubber donut "squishes" down when the gain is increased. Increase it too high and you have more of a disc than a donut. So the 360 degree coverage is always there, but it likely doesn't cover below or above the antenna very much at all.

These two problems combined are likely what's whacking your signal. A 1km area should probably be covered by a lot more than a single access point. Those high-gain omni antennas are meant to connect point-to-multipoint bridges, not connect to clients. They're great for that since you don't want or need to cover the ground with a bridge. But for client connectivity, it's not so great.

The only thing you could try to do is to reduce the AP power to try to offset the omni antenna gain. Of course, this causes its own problems, and you'll definitely not reach 1km with low power. I guess the other option is to try bringing the AP closer to the ground. But really, the best fix would be more APs and smaller-gain antennas.

I hope that helps, sorry I don't have an easier fix.

Jeff

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card