Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Antenna Question

I read an article that mentioned circularized polar antenna's. Can someone tell me where(what type of application)they would be used and also give a Cisco part number? Thanks...

1 REPLY
Green

Re: Antenna Question

Circular polarization (Right-Hand Circular Polorization - RHCP and Left-Hand Circular Polorization - LHCP ) is primarily used in satellite communication.

In the trip through the various layers of the atmosphere/magnetosphere a typical horizontal or vertical polorized signal can/will change planes (and if you think about it, what's horizontal or vertical relative to an object in the sky?).

So, to negate / reduce the effect of the atmosphere, the signal is sent using a circular polorization. For a given antenna element count, a CP antenna will be about 3db less gain, but will tend to have less distortion and fading, compared to a similar antenna with linear polorization.

Uses are things like GPS and Direct Satellite broadcasting.

I don't think Cisco has any CP antennas. There is not much advantage to using them for terrestrial communications (at least not point-to-point / point-to-multipoint fixed-station comms).

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies