cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any Windows 7 support for the Aironet 802.11/a/b/g PI21AG?

mark.hardesty
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if and when the Aironet 802.11/a/b/g PI21AG will support Windows 7?

x32? x64?

We are using this card and plan to migrate to Windows 7, and I am in charge of testing to see if the Aironet will work.

Do you know if there are any alpha or beta drivers?

Thanks,

Mark

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No.  Cisco does not see any reason to develop this even further when all new laptops come with built-in WLAN cards.

The PI21AG is NOT a card for laptops.  It is a PCI card for desktop computers.   It has proven to be a very reliable piece of hardware in enterprise environments, and as far as I can find, Cisco does not make a newer, better PCI card based product.  Cisco really should provide updated Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit) drivers and utility software for this card.

I did get mine running using an Atheros driver in Win7 x64 (installed Vista software from Cisco site which got me connected to the Net, then used "update driver automatically" to let Windows find and install the Atheros driver.)

However, it would be nice to access the full feature set of this adapter with the Cisco software.

sesquipedalio
Level 1
Level 1

I would love to find out the same thing.  The card is not listed as EOL.  I have

asked my reseller to ask their Cisco CAM and not yet heard back.  I think it should not be too much to

convert the XP driver for them and they should do it.  In the meantime, we have found it works on W

in7 in XP compatibility mode - I hope that helps.

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Are you still facing this issue?

thanks,

Vinay

Thanks & Regards

mscherting
Level 1
Level 1

I'm resurrecting this discussion because I have customers who want to continue using their Aironet 802.11/a/b/g PCI adapters with Win7.

Has Cisco stepped up to provide drivers for the PCI cards?

Has Cisco stepped up to provide drivers for the PCI cards?

I don't think so because there's no financial benefit in developing this further when there are alot of USB Wi-Fi dongle in the market today.

Indeed there are lots of wifi dongles out there, however they don't have the site survey utility utilising CDP for neighbour discovery in CISCO WLAN environments.

Really frustrated that the desktop utility will not install on WIn 7.

Any one found a way round this yet.

Regards

Just answered my own question, installed in compatibility mode as an admin, now got all I need apart from profile control etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: