Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Anyone tested MSAP with Cisco CMX?

Hi Experts,

Has anyone tested Cisco CMX (Connected Mobile Experiences) solution not only with Meridian App/SDK but also with with 802.11u/ MSAP enabled mobile phone?

At the moment I have three Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 enabled devices:

• Nokia Lumia 920 (Windows)
  • HTC One 801n (Android)
  • SE Xperia Z-3 (Android)

I will try to run and configure vWLC 7.5, MSE 7.5 & PI 1.4 as needed... Do you think this is enough? Or I forgot something?

9 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Anyone tested MSAP with Cisco CMX?

License of course;)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Community Member

Shaoqin,

There is a "trial period" for all of these.

What about client devices? If they have QC Snapdragon 4 chipset, they are set and ready to go? Nothing more?

Community Member

I configured everything as it should be... but it does not work.

By the way, should 802.11u must be enabled? Or MSAP works without it?

CMX License: Provides CMX Analytics, CMX Engage,  and CMX Connect, as well as all of the capabilities of the Base Location  License. Customers can upgrade from the Base Location License to the  CMX License using the upgrade SKU.

Source:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps9733/ps9742/data_sheet_c07-473865.html

Community Member

Thanks Saurav but everything is okay with a license. Could you comment on these questions:

• For MSAP to work is 802.11u mandatory?
    • In some sources I found that MSAP works independently from 802.11u.
    • Other sources says "MSAP is transported via IEEE 802.11u GAS". So it should work only with 802.11u...
  • Which AP models support 802.11u? Here I see : "Cisco is also first to support 802.11u on the Cisco Aironet 3600 Series AP". Really?
  • Is there a list of MSAP capable devices from Qualcomm? I have 3 different smartphones with QC Snapdragon S4 chipset. Devices are made on  2012, November and 2013 January- February. They are fairly new for MSAP to work?

Community Member

Anyone tested MSAP with Cisco CMX?

Evaldas,

can you confirm that phone's software supports MSAP?

"Mobility Services Advertisement Protocol (MSAP) is  a protocol for service discovery, enabling the connection of users to  venue services. Because MSAP is transported via IEEE 802.11u GAS, mobile  devices can query for local services prior to authenticating to a Wi-Fi  network. Mobile devices performing an MSAP query securely retrieve  icons and service URLs; the mobile device's UI displays the icons (when  enabled/requested by the user)."

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns524/ns673/white_paper_c11-649337.html

As you can see phone has to request the service and display it on the screen and process user interraction.

Community Member

Thanks for your answer Andrew!

But where I can find MSAP software for andoird/windows or iOS operating systems? At this link I see:

Passpoint Tested Equipment

Type of devices
Supported devices
Software
Notes

Wireless LAN controller

CT5508

WISM2

CT8510 CT7510

CT2504

vWLC

7.3.112 and above

This document is based on 7.5

Access Point

LAP1042,

LAP1142, CAP1602,

CAP2600,

CAP3502,

CAP3602,

CAP1552

Same as above

Supports both Local mode as well as FlexConnect mode (connected mode)

Phone Client Device

Samsung Galaxy-S4

Default shipping OS

Android OS 4.2.2

So, should MSAP work properly with Samsung Galaxy-S4 with Android OS 4.2.2 ? Or do I need to install additional software?

Please let me know this, I'm really curious to test this solution...

Community Member

Evaldas, have you seen this technote?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7.5/Hotspot_057.html

To be honest, I have not tried it but at first look it is exact configuration guide just for Cisco WLC and Samsung Galaxy S4

Community Member

Hi,

I tried with 3 different mobile phone models. It does not work. I think smartphones needs MSAP software package, but Cisco does not says, where could I get it.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content