cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 1230 sending bogus mac to DHCP server for reservation.

jnaglich
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having an intermittant problem that's occuring with 1100 and 1200 series APs that we're using in some of our locations. Our current setup uses a somewhat dynamic configuration process.

When we get a new AP out of the box, we put it on our network and let it pull a DHCP address. We have DHCP reservations in our DHCP server for the MAC address of the APs we put up, so the AP should pull a specific IP address. From there, the AP will do a reverse lookup on the IP address to the DNS server and pull it's hostname. Finally, the AP will pull it's config based on hostname from a WLSE box we have in our data center.

The problem we're running into is that every now and then, when an AP gets rebooted, the AP will start with an IP address from a general DHCP pool and therefore not be able to do a reverse lookup or download its config from WLSE. When we look at the DHCP reservation on the DHCP server (Microsoft DHCP), the MAC address listed is a bogus MAC with more characters than would actually be in a MAC address. Has any one seen this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jason

2 Replies 2

ebreniz
Level 6
Level 6

Exclude the IP address from the General Pool which is reserved for the APs.

I had ONE access point exhibit this behavior. Even though all 78 access points are the same version.

I had to configure the BVI1 interface ip as follows. If I didn't specify the client-id, it would use a MAC, other than that of FastEthernet0:

interface BVI1

ip address dhcp client-id FastEthernet0

no ip route-cache

end

Tim M.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card