Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

AP group question

When Editing a AP group under the WLAN tab, I see Interface Name. I see a few things in the drop down menu. Could someone explain the purpose of this ?

3 REPLIES

Re: AP group question

AP group vlan is so that you can define what interface a SSID will use, on a particular AP or group of AP.

So for example, you have 4 floors, and on each floor you want a separate VLAN, but the SAME SSID. You would create the four dynamic interfaces, then you go to AP Group VLAN config, and say SSID map to . You would create four groups, one for each floor, and each group has the respective mapping. Then on the AP, you define what group the AP belongs to.

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Community Member

ok, so each interface name in the drop down list is a vlan. I assume when these interface names were created that they were assigned a VLAN.

So I could kind of look at it like the drop down list houses a list of VLAN names instead of a number?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Look at it this way.... AP Groups allow you to have one SSID (TEST) mapped to multiple vlans. The purpose is if you like to keep a subnet at a /24 but have 2000 + users, AP Groups allow you to place AP's that will have ssis TEST on a certain vlan.

For example:

Floor 1 SSID Test

Interface Vlan 11

Vlan 11

Floor 2 SSID Test

Interface Vlan 12

Vlan 12

Floor 2 SSID Test

Interface Vlan 13

Vlan 13

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***