cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP question

dmearsiii
Level 1
Level 1

I have a been contracted to setup a small WLAN inside hotel conference areas for meetings that will last 1 week each, 4 times a year. Every year 2 of the meetings will be in the U.S. and 2 will be in Europe(i.e. Greece, France, Germany etc.)

My equipment consists of:

506e Pix

2000 Series WLAN controler

7 1200 Series AP's

I have been told 2 different answers for this question and really need the correct one before I take off overseas.

Question is: Can I used 1 ap at all these meettings or am I going to have to buy seperate ap's for each country I go to?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Delmas,

My take on this is that you will need two different sets of: (WLC plus AP)configurations one for the US and one for Europe(Geece,Germany and France) as these are in different Regulatory Domains.

The US will require A-FCC Regulatory Domain

Europe will require E-ETSI Regulatory Domain

Have a look at this tech note:

The WLC supports only one regulatory domain. Therefore, a WLC that uses regulatory domain -A can only be used with APs that use regulatory domain -A (and so on).

When you purchase APs and WLCs, ensure that they share the same regulatory domain. Only then can the APs register with the WLC.

Also see the following;

Wireless Lan Compliance Standards

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/wireless/approvals.html

Sorry about the news (and don't forget the WLC 2006 only supports 6 AP's, I'm sure your 7th is for a spare)

Hope this helps! And good luck!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.......

So if I bought 1 WLAN controler and 7 AP's for the U.S., what would be the problem with using them in a Hotel in Greece for 4 days?

If I have to buy 2 set's of AP's and another WLAN controller my profits are non-existent.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card