Views
Helpful
Replies

AP Question

Thomas Yarger
Level 1
Level 1

Experts, 

How many AP's within an area can I have that are broadcasting on the same overlapping channel? Also, will the least congested channel option automatically adjust when I add or remove AP's from an area? Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

Do check the design guide for wireless network and usually when we talk about overlapping, it the strength of different channel not the same and for congestion controller is responsible :)

http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/docs/education/cisco_wlan_design_guide.pdf

View solution in original post

codflanglers
Level 1
Level 1

Like the others state, you should choose non overlapping channels and plan your AP deployment so that cells or APs on the same channel don't overlap with each other. This is harder on 2.4GHz as you only have channels 1, 6 and 11. 5GHz is easier as you have more channels.

If you are using a controller based system, most have some sort of dynamic channel assignment feature as well as the ability to alter the transmit power settings, if they detect interference or an AP goes offline. The idea being that AP should automatically change channels to avoid interference or increase and decrease their power output to adjust to their AP neighbours.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
How many AP's within an area can I have that are broadcasting on the same overlapping channel?

You mean how many APs broadcasting the same channels can operate in an area? ONE AP in a cell. As long as the overlapping channels do NOT overlap with each other. The APs on the same channels must be kept apart.

Also, will the least congested channel option automatically adjust when I add or remove AP's from an area? Thanks!

Depends if you have autonomous or controller based deployment.  With controller-based deployment there is a feature called "coverage-hole detection". 

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

Do check the design guide for wireless network and usually when we talk about overlapping, it the strength of different channel not the same and for congestion controller is responsible :)

http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/docs/education/cisco_wlan_design_guide.pdf

codflanglers
Level 1
Level 1

Like the others state, you should choose non overlapping channels and plan your AP deployment so that cells or APs on the same channel don't overlap with each other. This is harder on 2.4GHz as you only have channels 1, 6 and 11. 5GHz is easier as you have more channels.

If you are using a controller based system, most have some sort of dynamic channel assignment feature as well as the ability to alter the transmit power settings, if they detect interference or an AP goes offline. The idea being that AP should automatically change channels to avoid interference or increase and decrease their power output to adjust to their AP neighbours.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card