Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

AP question

I have a been contracted to setup a small WLAN inside hotel conference areas for meetings that will last 1 week each, 4 times a year. Every year 2 of the meetings will be in the U.S. and 2 will be in Europe(i.e. Greece, France, Germany etc.)

My equipment consists of:

506e Pix

2000 Series WLAN controler

7 1200 Series AP's

I have been told 2 different answers for this question and really need the correct one before I take off overseas.

Question is: Can I used 1 ap at all these meettings or am I going to have to buy seperate ap's for each country I go to?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: AP question

Hi Delmas,

My take on this is that you will need two different sets of: (WLC plus AP)configurations one for the US and one for Europe(Geece,Germany and France) as these are in different Regulatory Domains.

The US will require A-FCC Regulatory Domain

Europe will require E-ETSI Regulatory Domain

Have a look at this tech note:

The WLC supports only one regulatory domain. Therefore, a WLC that uses regulatory domain -A can only be used with APs that use regulatory domain -A (and so on).

When you purchase APs and WLCs, ensure that they share the same regulatory domain. Only then can the APs register with the WLC.

Also see the following;

Wireless Lan Compliance Standards

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/wireless/approvals.html

Sorry about the news (and don't forget the WLC 2006 only supports 6 AP's, I'm sure your 7th is for a spare)

Hope this helps! And good luck!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.......

Re: AP question

So if I bought 1 WLAN controler and 7 AP's for the U.S., what would be the problem with using them in a Hotel in Greece for 4 days?

If I have to buy 2 set's of AP's and another WLAN controller my profits are non-existent.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content