Views
Helpful
Replies

AP's in repeater mode using the A radio

tranceparent
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I've got a project were I need to cover with WiFi a hotel but the problem is that there are only 2 point were I can get connected to the wired network, not more. As per the geographic conditions and the budget assigned to the project I'm not able to consider the 1500 series and I know that creating a cascade from a RAP will decrease the network performance by a half on each hop. My question is:

-Are the same limitations applicable when using the A radio for the wireless backhaul?

Scheme: (Root AP)(1st Repeater)(2nd Repeater)

-If a user is connected to either the 1st or 2nd repeater using the G radio, will he/she be able to reach the wired network having the previously mentioned scheme?

I'm new to wireless using Cisco, but I've tested this configuration before using Belair's, so just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan S.

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Repeaters are not really a good idea, since bandwidth becomes and issue. Especially in hotels where users work when they get back from a job, etc.... I hate when my connection is slow. Every hop cut's the throughput down by half. Here is a link that can explain to you in detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_13_JA/configuration/guide/s13rep.html#wp1034746

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card