Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

AP1200 and number of clients allowed

We have an AP1200 with IOS 12.2(8)JA with 802.11b

We have Compaq tablet PC's with inbuilt 802.11b wireless cards.

We seems to hit a maximum when the tablets are associating with the access point (around 6 clients). If we turn a client off another can successfully associate, and have repeated this many times.

Does anyone know of anything that may cause this behaviour ? We did not feel 24 clients would be too excessive for one AP

regards,

Mark Lawrence

4 REPLIES
Green

Re: AP1200 and number of clients allowed

In the SSID config mode for the interface, try the command

AP (config-if-ssid)# max-associations 24 (or whatever number you want to authenticate.

According to the book, default should be 255.

Give it a shot and let us know.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the tip. I have inherited this AP and just getting up to speed with it. The max-associations was already set at 30.

The AP had been up for 7 weeks, so I gave it a reboot and managed to get 12 tablets to associate (previous best was 6).

There is something strange going on here. I need to dig abit deeper, but if you have any more suggestions please shout out.

regards,

Mark

Green

Are all of the clients using different user IDs?

Is there a difference whether you use 40 or 128 bit WEP, or EAP, or LEAP?

Could it be that the units are associating, but some (more than 6 or 12) are not getting DHCP addresses?

Maybe try a "debug dot11 aaa" to see what the authentication traffic is looking like ("no debug dot11 aaa" to turn it off).

Verify the associations with "show dot11 associations" and see if perhaps the clients are associating with the AP (as far as the AP is concerned), but the client (for whatever reason) doesn't know it has associated).

Maybe put on a packet analyzer (like Ethereal) on the 7th/13th PC and capture the association (or lack of)to see where the sequence is failing. If the PCs associate, then start blabbing (i.e., consuming a lot of bandwidth) it might just be a lack of available bandwidth. If this is the case, you may get a little relief by lighting up a few VLANs.

There's maybe some additional stuff, give this stuff a try and we can take it from there.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

I did some debugging, but unfortunately I had already increased the max-associations and had fixed the problem.

I cannot prove it, but I have a feeling that perhaps the associations slots take a while to time-out so we were exhausting them when we had it set as low as 30.

I have set the max-associations to the default (255) - and I do not feel this is less secure as we are handling the association using PEAP available in AD 2003 and clients cannot associate unless they are AD members within the correct groups and have the correct settings.

The problem now no longer exists, but I will continue to monitor.

Thanks for your help.

regards,

Mark

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content