Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1200 and WPA2

sasaadamovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I need to analyse options for starting using WPA2 with our Wireless network. I have been looking around Cisco web site, but can not find definite answer if our kit can be upgraded (hardware and/or software) to support this.

We have mixture of following two APs:

Cisco AIR-AP1220-IOS-UPGRD (PowerPC405GP) processor with 15038K/1336K bytes of memory.

Product/Model Number: AIR-AP1220-IOS-UPGRD

System Software Filename: c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA2

System Software Version: 12.3(8)JA2

Cisco AIR-AP1231G-E-K9 (PowerPC405GP) processor (revision A0) with 15038K/1336K bytes of memory.

Product/Model Number: AIR-AP1231G-E-K9

System Software Filename: c1200-k9w7-tar.123-8.JA2

System Software Version: 12.3(8)JA2

Additionally all APs have radio upgraded to 802.11g by by replacing original radio cards with AIR-MP21G-E-K9 cards.

The main questions I need answered are:

1) Will our current 1200 Aironets support WPA2 with upgrade (hardware and/or software)?

2) If yes, what needs to be upgraded?

I would appreciate help with this.

Regards,

Sasa

4 Replies 4

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Check the hardware rev of your radios.

Earlier generation radios cannot support WPA2.

Post up what flavors of Hardware (radios) you have.

You can find that information from the details tab of the WebGUI for each radio.

My understanding from Cisco was that, if you have 802.11g radios, you can use WPA2 via a software upgrade. But I'd still do as Scott says and either post or research your model numbers to find out for sure.

The 1231s aren't a concern - they can certainly use WPA2 with an IOS update. The 1220s are the concern for whether the upraded radios can support such a software upgrade or not.

sasaadamovic
Level 1
Level 1

ScottMac and jeff.kish, thanks for your help.

I have confirmation from our Cisco support that our equipment supports WPA2 and got it working. It is just confusing as there are Cisco documents with conflincting information.

Thanks,

Sasa

You're welcome, and thank you for posting that you resolved the issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card