cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1200 IOS vs 12.01T

pallette
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to install the latest IOS that is supported for the AP1200. I am wandering what is the preferred code/firmware. IOS or 12.01T. My main objectives are to still utilize LEAP authentication as well as take advantage of VLAN segmentation on the AP1200. Any thoughts or recommendations on running IOS on the AP1200.

4 Replies 4

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

It is my understanding that the 1200s shipping now are shipping with IOS and for any ones already out there 12.01 T1 is the best that you can do and I recommend it. Any one wanting load IOS onto an existing 1200 that did not come with it will have to wait 6 months or so to move to IOS

Check out this link

http://www.cisco.com/warp/partner/synchronicd/cc/pd/witc/ao1200ap/prodlit/2059_pp.htm

I believe you can upgrade now for AP1200's that did not ship with IOS.

I did a bit of research into this, including a call to Cisco Pre-Sales. We had a customer who was interested in the 1200 but was a bit leery about deploying the first IOS release for a product. We didn't want them to be roped into having to do a fork lift upgrade later on to upgrade from VxWorks to IOS.

What I found out was as follows:

1) Currently, whether you go with IOS or VxWorks, you get the same functionality.

2) Currently, IOS 1200s can not run VxWorks and VxWorks 1200s can not run IOS. Hence, this is what Cisco means in the release notes when they say 12.2(8) JA must be loaded on platforms "configured at the factory to run Cisco IOS".

3) There are different part numbers to differentiate between the two platforms. See the link posted previously to make sure you order the right one!

4) As always, Cisco is reluctant to discuss future products. But, off the record, my information is that Cisco will _probably_ make an IOS field upgrade available for VxWorks 1200 platforms later this year, maybe in 6 months or so.

5) Also, off the record, the IOS field upgrades will _probably_ be covered by SmartNet. But, I wouldn't take this as gospel until if and when Cisco makes an official announcement.

Ray W.

Good Reply Ray, thanks for the insight

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card