cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1200 "802.1Q Tagging is enabled, but no Native VLAN is Enabled"?

roger.aas
Level 1
Level 1

When I power up a AP1220 I get this message repeated 3 times:

"Date&Time (Warning): VLAN (802.1Q) Tagging is Enabled, but no Native VLAN is Enabled"

It is working after this, but I don't like warning messages that I can not find in the manual.

Have I configured it wrong? Is this just a startup-message while it reads in its configuration? Some small bug in the firmware?

The AP is using 12.02T1.

On the VLAN Setup page:

VLAN tagging is enabled.

802.1Q Encapsulation Mode: Hybrid Trunk

Maximum Number of enabled VLAN IDs: 16

Native VLAN ID: 50

Single VLAN ID which allows Unencrypted packets: 50

Optionally allow Encrypted packets on the unencrypted VLAN: yes

The AP is connected to a Cisco 2950 switch with this port-config:

interface FastEthernet0/6

switchport trunk native vlan 50

switchport mode trunk

no ip address

spanning-tree portfast

Can anybody help me with explaining this warning message?

- Roger

BTW I like much better to work with the IOS of the 1100 AP's I got. I read that you could install IOS on 1200 AP's only if they were set up for IOS from the factory. How do I know if I can install IOS on my 1200 Series AP? Can I send them in to be upgraded to IOS at some service center?

2 Replies 2

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

I have seen this error message in beta AP1200/350 SW releases; According to the bugtool kit most of the scenarios/bugs which triggered this type of messages were fixed in 12.0T VxWorks release. So, my guess is this is a harmless error message.

jthm
Level 1
Level 1

I am actually looking into enabling this and I believe what has happened is you enabled it and set the default based on what your switch is set to, however you didn't actually setup a vlan 50 on the AP itself. Tere is a section just under the main vlan setup page where you add new vlans and modify existing ones and by default it has the *When VLANs are disabled* entry this is where there should be an entry for vlan 50. now if you aren't using vlans for multiple SSIDs or segmentation of your Wireless side then just disable the setting. Up until now my setup has been on a single vlan and all the clients are on the same vlan so having it disabled works just fine. The section of the configuration guide explains most of this but still isn't that great.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card