Helpful
Replies

AP1200 WPA-TKIP connexion issue with intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

itadminlis
Level 1
Level 1

We have AP 1200 with 2 VLAN enabled.

One with WPA-TKIP for laptops

one "open" without encryption for Symbol BarCode system.

We have received new DELL D820 laptops with intel 3945ABG device.

With these new laptops, we can't obtain IP adress with the following error : authentication refused.

DELL said that we must upgrade the firmware of the AP1200.

After upgrated the firmware:

-> it's better, Sometime, we could connect the laptops to the AP, but not all the time.

-> the symbol terminal who use "open" SID could not connect to the APs.

Have you an idea to help us?

Eric.

5 Replies 5

linhthasack
Level 1
Level 1

It is a compatibility issue between intel's new 3945abg and cisco. I had open case with cisco TAC, dell, ibm, and gateway. I also have a posted topic in this forum, if you want to find out more of what we discover please do a search under "3945abg". I will keep you up to date on the findings when I get some positive result. Please also post your result....if you have the answer......thx

FIX FIX FIX

I know what is causing the client to not authenticate the users. It is due to roaming issue. The client drops in and out when trying to authenticate because the client tries to roam to other APs, You will see the connect and a drop. If you have multiple APs BROADCASTING the same SSID then the client will roam even though physical location is the same. I FIXED the ISSUE by TURNING OFF broacast on SSID that uses PEAP to prevent the client from roaming. I know this is a temperary fix but it will surfice until Intel gets a new driver out current driver use 10.5.1.57. Good luck to everybody.....

Thank you for the fix. We were fighting this same issue for 2 days now when our first batch of T60's came in.

Everyone should put pressure on their IBM/DELL reps to put pressure on Intel for a new driver.

We have an open case with IBM on this issue and did some of our own testing in house and this is what we have found to be the problem with the Intel 3945abg (driver 10.5.1.59) and WZC.

The test was done on 2 Cisco 1231G IOS 12.3(8)JA2 APs.

The following SSID types are configured on each of the APs.

SSID 1:

Open Auth

No encryption

SSID 2:

Open Auth

WEP 128 encryption

SSID 3:

Open Auth

WPA-PSK encryption

SSID 4:

PEAP w/ MS CHAP v2

WPA encryption

Guestmode ON

Results: Combination of an open SSID with no encryption and no authentication (SSID 1)and an SSID with WPA and PEAP MS-Chap V2 with broadcast guest-mode ON (SSID 4) caused the issue in our environment.

If you turn off guest-mode or change SSID 1 to a form of encrytion (WEP or WPA) the Intel 3945abg card connects and stays connected to the WPA PEAP SSID (SSID 4).

I am sending this info to our IBM tech that is helping us and will keep the update posted. Good luck to you all.

*** Driver Bug ***

From the world wide level 2 networking support group.

"Please assure the customer that we have been able to recreate the problem and does appear to be driver related. We will be engaging with Intel Development to find the root cause."

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card