cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1231G vs. BR350

jk0864
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. We are using several Cisco AP1231G Access Points and a few Cisco BR350 Bridges throughout our organization. We are in the process of installing a 360 degree WISP Antenna ontop of our highrise. I noticed on the Cisco website it states that the AP1231G has a range of 700 feet while the BR350 has a range of 25 miles. Would I be better off using the BR350 as an Access Point for this application? Thanks for the help.

1 Reply 1

fredn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I suspect the range you quote (700 Ft) is the indoor range number (this assumes AP to clients) whereas the clients have a low or zero gain antenna and there are cubicals, office walls and other obstructions present.

The AP1231G is very similar to the BR-350 with the exception of two things. The BR-350 is 802.11b only and therefore it's transmitter is slightly better with respect to out of band emissions since it is only operating at 802.11b speeds and does not produce OFDM emissions. Therefore, you can run higher gain antennas with the BR-350 (up to 23 dBi is what we have FCC approval on). however; when using the AP1231G you should keep your antenna gain to 10 dBi or less as the faster speeds of the AP1231G (using 802.11g) restrict the gain to 10 dBi.

If your WISP antenna exceeds 10 dBi I'd just use the BR350 it's a fine product and it's unlikely you'll be able to exceed 25 miles anyway at rates greater then 11 Mbps.

Another option (if using the higher gain antenna is a requirement) would be to use the BR1300, this Bridge is designed to run OFDM emissions using the higher gain antennas with less out of band emissions so it's the perfect choice when using longer OFDM (802.11g) links.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card