Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

AP350 Low signal strength

I have two AIR-AP350 SERIES AP's.  I am receiveing wifi from my friends house a mile away across a valley with clear line of sight.  I think there is a problem with one of these units because when doing a link test one unit shows 14% signal strength on either antenna from the remote router and the second unit shows 6% on the left hand antenna and 1% on the right. 

Does anyone know why this might be   

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: AP350 Low signal strength

An AP350? If you typed it right, those are pretty old. Could just be the fact that is starting to go bad or if you have an external antenna outside, the antenna or cable could be going bad too from weather exposure.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the reply, yes the AP350's are quite old now.  I should have said that I do have an external antenna but I have been connecting these two AP's to the same antenna to see which would give me the best connection.

To expand slightly, using the link test one AP shows 12-17% signal strength with an average of 14% but the second one shows 1-12% with an average of 5%.  Is it possible that the PCMCIA wifi card has started to break down, do they fail like this?

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Well the 350 like other AP/Bridge will have two antenna ports. It uses this for diversity so whichever the best signal is usually the antenna port that the AP is transmitting on.  Back in the days when I have installed these, I only connected one antenna to particular port, then I defined which port was primary.  The other port will not be used.  They are old and they will eventually fail.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies