Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple Bonjour problems with AP1231G network

smashingly
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We have a 32-access-point network of AIR-AP1231G-E-K9's, all running off of 3750 PoE switches. They are standalone access points, the designer/installer (not me!) decided it would be cheaper than using a WLC.

Anyway, I am having a few problems with Bonjour-based applications. I have an app that runs on the iPhone and synchronises with the parent app on the user's Apple Macbook. The only requirement according to the software company is that both devices are "on the same IP subnet".

However, I am finding that when both the iPhone and Mac are homed to the same access-point, sync fails, they cannot find each other at all. If I set up an ad-hoc network on the Mac, the sync works fine. If the Mac is on the other side of the building homed to one access point, and the iPhone is homed to another access point, the sync works fine. If both devices are homed to an Apple Time Capsule (wireless access-point with built-in HDD), the sync works fine.

From the following article, it seems that Cisco access-points like to filter broadcast & multicast traffic between devices homed to the same access point, but it seems that they will pass this traffic on to the LAN.

I understand from the software developer's wiki that their app's sync uses Bonjour. My searching has lead me here to Cisco.com.

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to enable multicast/broadcast on the 1231 access points, similar to the way the article describes enabling it on a WLC?

The article is at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4555/products_qanda_item09186a0080192f97.shtml

Scroll down to, or search for "Q. I have a number of Macintosh clients..." for the relevant text.

Any help would be much appreciated... I have read all the Bonjour-related posts on this site but my multicast knowledge is really rusty so I wasn't able to relate what I read, with an actual config-change fix on my network.

thanks in advance!

regards

Ash Dando

IT/Electronics Officer

M/Y Al Mirqab

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: