cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APs controller assigning wireless clients ip addresses that are off of the APs subnet

johnsechrist
Level 1
Level 1

I am having an issue with wireless controler assigning wireless clients ip addresses that are off of the associated access point’s subnet.

We have a Cisco 5500 Series wireless controller on our 192.168.0.0 LAN

We have 3 subnets all of which have access points 192.165.0.0, 192.166.0.0, and 192.167.0.0.

All access points have static ips and are configured the match their respective subnets and connected to the switch within their subnet.

When any wireless client connects to an access point within the subnet the client is automatically assigned a 192.168.x.x ip address of the lan and is not given an ip address with in the subnet. However, the client see the 192.165.x.x (subnet router interface) as it’s gateway.

I have searched and cannot figure out why the wireless clients are not being assigned ip address on the subnet of which the associated access point is attached.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

2 Replies 2

faycal.rabahi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi john,

check the DHCP server configuration in your controller, and AP, I think thare is a mismatch.

Regards

If it help please rate.

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

AP VLAN/subnet is independent of WLAN mapped VLANs. unified doesn't work like autonomous.

You've to create dynamic interface on WLC.

On WLAN config check what interface it is mapping to. the wireless client going to get an ip out of that subnet.

You need AP groups configured to map same wlan to different interface based on the AP location.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card