cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

APs mode in lightweight giving service without WLC?

albertofdez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

A colleague told me that it is possible to configure a WLC that the APs will continue to provide service to the users while the controller is switched off or defective.

Does anyone know what is this technology and how to set it up?

Best regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

HI Albert,

Now I got you point :)

Depending on your deployment model, if they are dedicated lightweight APs(ie, not configured under HREAP) then when the controller reboots or dead, then AP goes "down".

Remember, the APs form LWAPP-encapsulated tunnels back to the controllers and they pipe all of the traffic over those tunnels, allowing the controller to place the traffic onto the wired LAN correctly. No connection to controller = no tunnel = no traffic hitting the LAN.

So conclusion from my point of view: There is no specific technology or setting that allow LAPs to work without WLC.

Workaround: There can be 2 alternative to escape from this scenario:

1. Configure APs to be H-REAP mode.(specially used for remote sites)

2. Configure 2nd WLC (For redudency) in same mobility group and same virtual interface ip address.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I dont think it can happend in normal case but yes if you have flexonnect(Hreap) type scenario then you can use local switching if WLC is down.(Central Authentication, Local Switching)

HREAP MODE:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/81680-hreap-modes.html

HREAP Design:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/71250-h-reap-design-deploy.html

Regards

Hi Sandeep,

I believe that I have not explained correctly.

My case is next, I have a 2504 WLC that manages 60 APs mode in lightweight. These APs are in the same network as the WLC.

Is there any technology/settings that allow only a single WLC exist if this is turned off or stops working the APs will continue to provide service to customers?

Best regards.

HI Albert,

Now I got you point :)

Depending on your deployment model, if they are dedicated lightweight APs(ie, not configured under HREAP) then when the controller reboots or dead, then AP goes "down".

Remember, the APs form LWAPP-encapsulated tunnels back to the controllers and they pipe all of the traffic over those tunnels, allowing the controller to place the traffic onto the wired LAN correctly. No connection to controller = no tunnel = no traffic hitting the LAN.

So conclusion from my point of view: There is no specific technology or setting that allow LAPs to work without WLC.

Workaround: There can be 2 alternative to escape from this scenario:

1. Configure APs to be H-REAP mode.(specially used for remote sites)

2. Configure 2nd WLC (For redudency) in same mobility group and same virtual interface ip address.

Regards

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card