cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERT – WIRELESS MESH NETWORKING SOLUTION

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to discuss with Cisco expert Fred Niehaus about Cisco’s Wireless Mesh Networking, a secure, scalable, broadband network infrastructure which enables new applications for public sector agencies to deploy to better serve the community.

Mr. Niehaus is a technical marketing engineer for the Wireless Networking Business Unit at Cisco Systems, Inc. He has extensive customer contact and is responsible for developing and marketing enterprise class wireless solutions using Cisco Aironet and Airespace Series Wireless LAN products. He has actively participated in some of Cisco's largest Wireless LAN deployments in education and retail with such customers as the New York Board of Education and the Home Depot stores. In addition to live deployments, Mr. Niehaus has also served as technical editor for several Cisco Press books including the Cisco 802.11 Wireless Networking Reference Guide by Toby J. Velte and The Business Case for Enterprise-Class Wireless LANs by David Castaneda, Oisin Mac Alasdair and Christopher Vinckier.

Remember to use the rating system to let Fred know if you have received an adequate response.

Fred might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through January 27, 2006. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

17 Replies 17

bbaley
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Fred,

I am not familiar with this. Where can I find more information on Cisco Aironet Wireless Mesh products?

Thanks,

Bill

fredn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Cisco Aironet 1500 Series Mesh products can be found at this URL: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6548/index.html

thomas.chen
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Fred,

What is the maximum antenna gain that can be used with this product?

Tom

This question depends on many factors like the transmitter power, antenna cable length, point to point or point to multi-point and which frequency used 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz.

The following antennas have been tested and are approved with this product in the US theater:

2400-2483.5 MHz 5.2 dBi Omni-directional

2400-2483.5 MHz 8.0 dBi Omni-directional

4900-5850 MHz 7.0 dBi Omni-directional

5725-5850 MHz 9.5 dBi Sector

5150-5850 MHz 14.0 dBi Patch

5470-5850 MHz 17.0 dBi Patch

Although other antennas may be used, when deviating from Cisco approved antennas the responsibility for compliance then falls on the owner/operator of the device.

Alex Stuart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Fred,

I was interested if you’d had experience on how well Symbol handheld terminals interact with the Cisco Wireless Mesh Network elements. I’ve heard there can be roaming issues between Symbol clients and the Cisco AP’s, and that IOS version is a factor.

A bit off topic, but is the MAR 3200 router available in Australia? No one seems to be picking up the Wireless Mesh Network model down here!

Thanks,

Alex.

Not sure if you are asking if with regards to an indoor mesh or outdoor mesh? Roaming probably isn't much of an issue outdoors, and I'm not aware of any specific problems indoors with Symbol equipment. I do know that we are testing interoperability and expect to submit the 1500 to the WiFi alliance for compatibility testing next month. On the last question, the MAR 3200 is available in Australia.

jbracho61292
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Fred,

I have a problem with my wireless equipment. In November of last year there was a Windows upgrade that knock my wireless authentication out. I am using EAP security to authenticate clients. After upgrading all my access points to the newest Cisco IOS for Wireless Access Points, everything worked for about 4 weeks, today I came into the office to face the same issue, my clients are being recognized by my Access points. However, when they tried to authenticate to the Server and obtained and IP address from our network it fails.

Any thoughts on this, I would appreciate any input you have.

JB

Hmmmm.... so you upgraded the Access Point code and everything worked for a month and then died? I wonder if you loaded any newer patches or what if any errors are being reported on the radius server and or the Access Point. I'd be inclined to place a call to Cisco TAC as they can help you enable and interpret debug tracing on the radius server and AP to see where it is failing. They also keep track of and can advise you regarding any patches that need to be applied (or those that when applied) "break things" .

Matt Boeckner
Level 1
Level 1

Fred, I have a question regarding the Cisco 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz attennas for the 1510. Can you tell me what the best case range is at 54Mbs for these?

The distance at 54 Mbps for 2.4 GHz side of the mesh (client access) is basically the same distance as it would be with most 2.4 GHz Access Points.

That said the "indoor range" being 90-100 Ft and outdoors being further because there are no obstructions. Now the Cisco Aironet 1500 does have an amplifier and a higher gain 2.4 GHz antenna enabling it to transmit further but how far that goes at 54 Mbps depends on the client being used (and the Access Point's ability to hear same).

remember just because the Access Point is improved (the client is typically operating at lower power and in some cases with an internal antenna so distance it really a matter of the client used and the environment it is used in. So there is no real exact answer as it varies but I'd expect to get at least 140 Ft or more outdoors at 54 Mbps. Again, you'd really have to test it with your specific client in your environment more more accurate numbers.

Fred,

Is the 1500 AP, on the hardware level, based on Airespace or Aironet ?

I do not see dual antennas on the 2.4 GHz end of the AP. I suppose diversity is not supported ? Why not ?

Chris.

The Cisco Aironet 1500 Outdoor Mesh AP is an Airespace / Aironet co-designed product designed to work in a centralized controller environment. Since this device is designed to operate primarily outdoors, diversity was not needed as less multi-path (reflected waves) occur outdoors. In an office or factory environment diversity is recommended as there is more reflections as signals bounce off filing cabinets and metal storage racks so diveristy is supported on the indoor Access Points.

Hi Fred,

do you know if and when the br1500 is availibl in austria (etsi)

i think right now you cant use it in etsi. is that right.

Is there already dfs inside to use the 5ghz in etsi?

regards Bernhard

It is not available in Austria (today) but we are working on the approvals now and if I had to guess I would say around the May time frame. Yes it will support DFS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: