cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Authentication and Roaming with AP1200

iferras
Level 1
Level 1

We are planning the installation of a number of Access Points with LEAP authentication to ACS. We want to know upfront whether the users have to reauthenticate everytime they roam from one Access Point to another. Is it the same with EAP-TLS or EAP-TTLS?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

c.tenley
Level 1
Level 1

The users do re-authenticate when they roam from one AP to another, but it is done in the backround quite quickly, without the users even knowing, unless the AP they are roaming to is down.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

c.tenley
Level 1
Level 1

The users do re-authenticate when they roam from one AP to another, but it is done in the backround quite quickly, without the users even knowing, unless the AP they are roaming to is down.

Hi All,

I agree to the previous suggestion but the scenario in case of multiple VLANS will be different, you will see applications like chat messengers closing down, outlook getting disconnected and so on with minor application in case client moves from one ap to another.

In case there are no VLANS defined .. things will flow smoothly.

In the case of multiple vlans, you must use "Mobile IP" to stay connected.

Of course, you must have a mobile IP IOS on your router.

gilmo
Level 1
Level 1

yes they do reauthenticate, so I would recommend you get the lastest Cisco client drivers for your clients so you can save the logon information in the client flash memory. If your application is time sensitive such as VOIP then I would consider enabling FastRoaming, FastRoaming will not require reauthentication during roaming from one AP to another unless there is bad re-association, but still it will save you a lot of packets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: