cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

backup port on wireless controller

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

On a 2504 WLC, port no. 1 is being configured as active port, which means the physical connection should end up on this port.

There are 3 other ports on this WLC. If i configured any one of the remaining ( eg. 2, 3 or 4 ) on the port no. field under interfaces in WLC, does it mean that port can be used in situations where port no. 1 (current active ) goes faulty. And does this ensure continuous wireless connectivity or is there more configurations required to this.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What you are asking is typically used for load-balancing and should work.

It is important to note that if this was a 4400 platform, you'd have to define a 2nd AP-Manager for port 2.

But since this is a 2500/5500, the "AP-Manager" I assume is your Management Interface, so it will fail over to port 2 should port 1 fail.

Should port 1 come back, it will fall back to Port 1.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can can configure say port 2 as a backup to port 1. You would of course need to config the wired side port the same as you did for port 1. On the WLC when you're in interfaces you should see a primary port (1) and a backup port right under it which in my comments would be port (2).

Make sense?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

thanks, so if the backup port right under it is configured as port (2). the physical connection can be shifted to port (2) from earlier port (1) in case of problems. this should set it working , aint it?

another question, under interfaces if for two interfaces port (1) is used as primary and for next two interfaces if port (2) is used . Will this concept.please pardon my lack of knowledge in wireless.

thanks.

What you are asking is typically used for load-balancing and should work.

It is important to note that if this was a 4400 platform, you'd have to define a 2nd AP-Manager for port 2.

But since this is a 2500/5500, the "AP-Manager" I assume is your Management Interface, so it will fail over to port 2 should port 1 fail.

Should port 1 come back, it will fall back to Port 1.

So it works this way. Now, when we say it will fail over to port 2 in  case of port 1 failure, do we need to plug the physical cable from port  1 to port 2 on the WLC.

thanks.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Both ports need to be connected I the switch.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

look at this document.

Configure multiple ap manager interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11630/products_tech_note09186a0080b8450c.shtml#scenarios

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card