Views
Helpful
Replies

Band Select - Acceptable Client RSSI.

dhurshowy
Level 1
Level 1

Band Select, "Acceptable Client RSSI".

Is the RSSI in this parameter the RSSI measured from the 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

Is it the signal the client measures from the AP, or the signal that the AP measures from the client? (I assume AP measures from client).

Also how would you go about determining a "good" setting for "Probe Cycle Count (for a client neutral network)? The default is 2 but I think it used to be 4. 4x200ms (scan cycle period threshold) is 'only' 800ms which is not all that long IMO if it helps more traffic get to 5GHz.

Thank you.

-Dale-

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dale,

The RSSI is measured from the 2.4ghz and it's from the AP not the client. Does this work all the time... No it doesn't. The issue you might see from extending the default settings is the device might not connect at all. The client device will make the final determination. You will need to test and decide what works for your devices.

Here Is a good link.

http://itnetworkingpros.wordpress.com/2010/11/10/cisco-band-select/

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dale,

The RSSI is measured from the 2.4ghz and it's from the AP not the client. Does this work all the time... No it doesn't. The issue you might see from extending the default settings is the device might not connect at all. The client device will make the final determination. You will need to test and decide what works for your devices.

Here Is a good link.

http://itnetworkingpros.wordpress.com/2010/11/10/cisco-band-select/

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Thanks very much for the reply. As mentioned our network is vendor neutral, so all devices and all models so I guess we'll start at an RSSI of -70 and a probe cycle count of 2 and monitor and optimize from there. I had seen that link and it was the best one I was able to fine as well.

Yeah that link best describes it. Just don't be surprised if some of your devices never connect to the 5ghz. I would make sure that your devices have no issues when you enable it or tweak it.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card