Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Best AP1200:Radio setting for a WISP setup?

Under the AP Radio: Internal hardware (802.11b) configuration, I have looked through all manuals I could find on line and help files, but still not clear about most optimal configuration for our type of setup.

Stationary but heavily dispersed (distance) users and many (quantity) users.

We only need to strive to try to give them 256Kbps (or better).

We find that those with 11Mbps connection (closer) are using up all/most bandwidth so that weaker/further users can not use.

We keep them all with strong links (70%+).

What is best setting to give so many users usable at least 256Kbps at longest range?

We try:

Data Rates:

1.0:Basic 2.0:Basic 5.5Basic 11.0Basic

Also try:

1.0Yes 2.0 BAsic, 5.5 Yes 11.0 Basic

And try other variations.

Seem to lose range if BASIC is not at lowest. What happen if we set 5.5 and 11.0 to No? Will that help or hurt since we do not have requirement for anything more than 1.5Mbps (our Internet backbone T1), so higher speeds are wasted no?

What about Frag threshold, RTS, BEeacons, etc. for such a setup?

Not really clear on results, hard to test with these types of users/environment dispersed.

Ideally, what would be best setup for this type of environment?

I know this not easy to answer due to many variables, but please give recommendations that we can try out.

Thank you.

Cisco Employee

Re: Best AP1200:Radio setting for a WISP setup?

Depending on signal stregth and distance you get 1 meg to 11meg .

Basic (default)—Allows transmission at this rate for all packets, both unicast and multicast. At least one of the access point's data rates must be set to Basic.

Yes—The access point transmits only unicast packets at this rate; multicast packets are sent at one of the data rates set to Basic.

No—The access point does not transmit data at this rate.

One rate should be always basic . If you say no means client will never lock on that rate

Beacon , RTS retries and CTS retries - normally you don't have to change those settings unless it is like warehouse where there are lots of multipath reflections .

Aprox 25 users per AP is rule of thumb . Even you have t1 , I would recommend to have more AP than restricting the users to certain bandwidth .

Let every rate be basic .Do traffic shapping on router handling t1 .

Community Member

Re: Best AP1200:Radio setting for a WISP setup?

We're a small Wisp in a VERY rural harsh climate enviroment with a depressed economy, cost is a huge issue here. Putting up $650 AP's every 1-3 miles isn't really a viable economic option. We were doing this with Netgear ME102's, they performed surprisingly well, but they can't handle the weather extremes here from below -20f in the winters to over 110f in the summers. The ciscos' can handle that, but this statement about only 25 users have me very worried.

We've had many times that amount on the Orinoco APs, what's wrong with the Cisco's that they can handle so few?

We have had around 50-60 users on the Netgear ME102 BEFORE things start to get congested, then up to around 70-80 it gets unpleasant, and by 90-100 users, if they're heavy usage, it gets unusable.

The orinoco APs handled 2-3 times as many as the netgears.

Those units were in other locations under temperate climates.

I was under the assumption the Cisco's were superior to the Netgears and Orinocos, not inferior as far as performance.

I understand about tule of thumb and all, and being conservative. But who has implementation experience with using these in large number of user environments? What kind of numbers were they able to handle?

Anyone running a Wisp on these?

We currently have every rate set to basic (as you suggested), that seemed to give the best range and decent throughput.

If we keep cold restarting the AP each night, then the "choking" problem doesn't occur, if we don't reboot it, then by the second day, any heavy loads will make the ping times climb heavily.

CreatePlease to create content