Views
Helpful
Replies

Block a single MAC association - bridge links

shellswell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a highly mobile environment, where I need any non-root bridge to associate to any root bridge, except that, for each bridge there is one pairing that must not occur.

ie: I want to allow all non-root bridge to associate to any root, except one.

Or, I want all roots to except any non-root bridge, blocking only one.

I am using (or plan to) use the same SSID everywhere.

I cannot deploy a RADIUS server, and so this will have to be configured locally.

MAC authentication creates a list of MACs the *are* allowed. What I need is to specify one MAC that is not allowed.

Am I missing the obvious?

Thanks

Steve

7 Replies 7

shellswell
Level 1
Level 1

Have just re-read that, 3rd line should read:

Or, I want all roots to accept any non-root bridge, blocking only one.

gray.adam
Level 1
Level 1

What about filtering out IP addresses. Bridges shouldn't use DHCP anyway, and that way if you replace a bridge you don't have to stuff around with changeing other setups only the one on the new bridge..

Well, I thought about filtering, which I guess I can do by MAC or IP address, but that still allows the association. The problem I have is that if the non-root end associates and is then filtered, then it will not associate (I think) with another root. I want to stop it associating with that particular root, so that it does associate with another...

gray.adam
Level 1
Level 1

What is the broader problem? Why are you trying to stop the association. There may be a better way.

OK,

So the scenario I have is vehicule to vehicule bridge links. The objective being any one vehicule can associate to any other one vehicule.

The first puzzle is about root/non-roots. For example, if you put a root in one vehicule, then it will not associate to other root bridge vehicules, and similarly with non-root ends.

So I thought I could put a root and a non-root in a vehicule. That way, when two vehicules approach, two bridge links come up between the vehicules.

However, what I am trying to stop is the root & non-root bridges from the same vehicule associating to each other...

Any ideas?

gray.adam
Level 1
Level 1

You should possibly be using Access Points not Bridges. This problem is looked after by spanning tree protocol in Access Points by having a Primary Access Point that everything goes through with STP turned on. If you have a blind spot you can set up a second Primary Access Point but it must be on a different channel. Where you have one vehicle seeing two Primary Access Point that can't communicate with each other then you put the two access points on different channels and let the vehicle roam the channels.

A bridge is just a way of connecting two networks together. Probably not the right equipment.

So,

What I have is a network in each vehicule, that I want to link together when the vehicules come in range. Typically, once linked, they will be in range for many hours before moving apart again.

Thanks for your help by the way!!

Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: